The Outsiders Song Fic | Teen Ink

The Outsiders Song Fic

By mlcouver GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts
mlcouver GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts

"Maybe greatness isn't about being immortal, or glorious, or popular- it's about choosing to fight for the greater good of the world, even when the world's turned its back on you."
-Alex Bailey
"The Land of Stories"

Dally stumbled over to the wall. Johnny was dead, and Dally didn’t want to believe it.

“No.” Dally whispered.”No, no no!” He kicked the wall of the hospital room, yelling in agony, his face contorted with pain. Ponyboy watched, his eyes brimming with tears, as Dally sprinted out of the room, a little shakily. Dally’s eyes were already red and puffy. He had just lost the one thing he cared about more than anything in the world.

What am I supposed to do when the best part of me was always you?

Dally shoved by a bunch of doctors and whipped out the door, trying to keep the tears in.
“Hey, you! You’re the greaser who hung out with that loser Cade kid!” Some Soc yelled towards Dally. Dally reeled around.

“SHUT UP, YOU LITTLE-” Dally started, but couldn’t finish. Johnny had just said fighting wouldn’t solve anything. What was Dally doing? The Soc just laughed, and shook his head with a sneer.

And what am I supposed to say when I’m all choked up and you’re OK?

He’s okay, Dally told himself. Johnny didn’t die. Johnny didn’t…
Dally knew he couldn’t take this. Pulling the empty heater out of his jacket pocket, he headed into a store, and pushed the tip of the gun to the salesman’s head.

“GIVE ME IT! THE MONEY!” Dally screamed, a crazy glint in his icy grey eyes. He was losing control. He needed Johnny. Johnny was the siderail that kept Dally from driving off the road.

I’m falling to pieces, yeah

The salesmen frantically handed Dally all the money, and Dally grabbed it, running out of the store like his life depended on it. It wasn’t long before he heard sirens in the distance.

Scouring the streets, Dally found a payphone, and slipped 25 cents in.

The phone had one ring, before someone picked up.

“Hello?” A male voice asked into the receiver.
“Steve?” Dally panted back.
“Yeah, Dal, what’s up?”
“Darry. Let me talk to Darry.” said Dally. There was a rustle, and then someone else was talking into the phone. “Darry?”
“Yeah, it’s me. You okay, Dallas?” Darry’s voice floated through the phone, a hint of concern in it.
“No. No. Johnny’s dead.” Dally breathed, as if saying it out loud made the reality even worse.

I’m falling to pieces

“I know. Pony told me.” Darry paused. “You need something, Dal?”
“The cops are after me, Darry, can you bail me out? Meet me in the park?” Dally asked.
“Yeah, anything, Dally.” Darry said, and Dally wasted no time. He hung up the phone with a click, and began to run. With every footstep he heard ‘stay gold’ pounding in his head, like a constant reminder that Johnny Cade was no longer there. He had faded, just like Dally would…

Dally’s coat was stained with sweat.

He knew the police were right behind him, just a moment away. Dally ran into the park, and could barely make out the gang running towards him before he raised his heater in the air.

They say bad things happen for a reason.

“NO!” Ponyboy screamed, but it was too late. Dally fell to the ground, in agony, but still had one last thing to say.

“Pony…” Dally trailed off. He tried to get the last words in, he really did, But he never got the chance. If he had, Dally had it all planned out. I was proud of him. I should’ve told Johnny. I don’t think he knew.

But no wise words gonna stop the bleeding.

This makes me cry, I'll admit. This book had me torn in two...and both my favorite characters died.

This was one of the first song fics I ever wrote. The parts of this in italics are lyrics from the song "Breakeven" by The Script.

I don't any of the characters, and though I wish I did, they belong to S.E. Hinton. 

Thanks!