The one eyed ghoul Kan Kaneki | Teen Ink

The one eyed ghoul Kan Kaneki

Hello my name is Shin-Hyi I am 18 years old and I work at anteiku. Anteiku is a little cafe, I work here with Touka which is my best friend and others. I’m just starting my first year of college and so far it’s going alright, I know these two best friends named Ken Kaneki and Hide. But what they don’t know is that I’m a one eyed ghoul.

Shin-Hyi’s p.o.v

I was walking to my next class when Hide ran up to me.

“Hey Shin-Hyi have you seen Kaneki anywhere?”

“I think he was at some cafe downtown for a date” I wiggled my eyebrows

“A date? What that doesn’t sound like Kaneki”

“Well let’s go see maybe he found someone he likes”

I skipped class and went with Hide to find Kaneki.

15 min later

We finally found him at a cafe reading a book. Hide and I walked in and sat at the table with him.

“Soooooo you’re meeting a girl?” Hide said

“Wha-what who told you?”

“Shin-Hyi” I sat there with a red face

“S-sorry Kaneki he asked and I thought he knew”

“It’s fine Shin” I smiled and him and Hide talked then the cafe door opened and a beautiful girl came in. She had long purpleish pinkish hair, pale skin, glasses and read the same books as Kaneki.

“Hey kaneki is that the girl?” he looked over and tried to hide his face.

“Y-yes”

“Are you okay?”

“No”

“You nervous?”

“Yes”

“I see why, she’s beautiful, and she reads the same books as you. Well, Hide and I will leave so you can enjoy your date….let us know how it goes”

We left and watched the girl sit across from Kaneki and he turned red in the face.

Kaneki’s p.o.v

I watched her as she sat across from me and smiled, the waitress came up and asked for our orders and we both gave them to her.

“H-hi I’m Ken Kaneki but everyone calls me Kaneki” I smiled and so did she.

“I’m Rize...oh you like her books too” she pointed to my book

“Yeah I’ve read almost all of them!” I laughed.

Shin-Hyi’s p.o.v

“I wonder if his date is going well?”

“Maybe cause he hasn’t come out crying yet.”

“Why would he come out crying?”

“Because the girl probably thought he was to awkward and made fun of him and things like that. Kaneki isn’t much of a ladies man, when it comes to it.”

“Awe poor Kaneki I’m glad things are going good for him right now. Also it’s getting late, wanna walk me home so we can leave him alone?”

“Sure.”

Kaneki’s p.o.v

It was already dark and people say don’t stay out late because ghouls were out badly this year and a new binge eater was out. I was walking Rize home when we took a alleyway next to a construction site.

“You know, Kaneki? You’re a good person and I hate to see something happen to you, so be careful.” I was confused, then these things came from her back and she took a bite out of my shoulder. I screamed in pain.

“You taste good” then came at me again but somehow, I managed to dodge her. Then she hit me with those things from her back again and I flew across the site and wasn’t able to get back up.

“You know Kaneki I’m not the type of person to hang out with” I managed to grab hold of something and pulled it, when everything in the air fell on her. That’s when I realized I just killed a binge eater..

Next day Kaneki’s p.o.v

I woke up to beeping like a heart monitor, I slowly opened my eyes and realized that I was in a hospital. I went to get up but sharp pain stabbed me in the side. I looked down and saw that I was bandaged from one side to the other. The next thing I know a doctor came in.

“Ah glad to see that you're awake we transferred the other bodies organs to you in order to help you survive”

Next Day Kaneki’s p.o.v

I was finally home and it was late maybe too late to be outside. Hide came by and brought me food. I opened the bag with a burger inside and heated it up. Once it was done i took it out and took a bite when I felt like I was gonna get sick.. I ran to the bathroom and puked it back up. I tried to eat it again but the same thing happened.

“Why can’t I eat!” I thought to myself I then ran into my kitchen and took everything out and began eating. I tried to eat but threw everything up.

“Why is this happening to me!”  I screamed in my head. The next thing I know Hide was calling me but i ignored his calls then Shin-Hyi started calling me and I ignored her calls as well.

Shin-Hyi’s p.o.v

I was working late and Hide called me and told me that Kaneki was out of the hospital but was ignoring his calls so he told me to call him and see if he’ll answer but he wasn’t.

“Is everything okay Shin-Hyi?” Touka asked

“I hope so” I then went back to work when Touka told me that we needed to head out and hunt for the new ghouls that need our help here.

“Did you hear what happened to that new binge eater Rize?”

“Yeah and that poor guy that she attacked I heard her organs were transferred to him!”

“Yeah, so he must be part ghoul now.”

“That poor guy is all I got to say.” we headed out and went to “the clif”. “The clif” is where people go to kill themselves.

20 min later Touka’s p.o.v

Me and Shin-Hyi finished collecting the parts we needed and started to head back…….. We made it back to the cafe and Hinami and her mother was there.

“Hi Hinami, you want me to get you something?” she shook her head no and hid her face in her mother’s dress.

“It’s not because of you Touka… you know how she gets when she’s upset now i need to talk to all of you.. Hinami why don’t you go play?” she left and Ryouko sighed

“Asaki’s dead” we all gasped

“What happened” Shin-Hyi asked

“Yakumo Oomori happened”

“He’s back!”

“I’m afraid so and the ccg isn’t far behind so we all need to be careful” we looked at each other and nodded

“Did you guys hear what happened to that binge eater Rize?”

“Yeah and the guy she was with that night, I think he’s out of the hospital now”

“Yeah I almost feel bad for him.”they all nodded

Later that night Kaneki’s p.o.v

I was walking outside when I heard a scream and something that smelled really good so I started following it, my mouth was watering. I followed it till... I saw a guy laying on the ground bleeding.

Is this what smelled so good?  I thought.

“P-please help m-me” the guy said.

“H-how” I said, as my mouth watered.

“Hey! Get away from him he’s mine!” This guy with glasses and orange hair came from nowhere. Then he took the guys arm off and took a bite.

“H-how are you eating him?” he looked at me

“I’m a ghoul you idiot, so are you. If you managed to smell him” he gasped

“Y-your a one eyed”

“What does that mean”

He came after me with those things coming from his back just like Rize. I managed to dodge him and then the same things came from my back. He tried to hit me but i blocked it and went after him...I knocked him into a wall and he blacked out.

“Wow, look at you.” I turned around and saw a girl with short purple hair.

“Wait I know you...you're one of Shin-Hyi’s friends, come with me.” I followed her to this little cafe. Called Anteiku. We walked inside and Shin-Hyi ran and hugged me.

“Oh my god, Kaneki are you okay?”

“No I’m a ghoul! Of course I’m not okay!”

“There’s nothing wrong with being a ghoul?”

“Everything is wrong.. Their nasty, heartless, man eating monsters!”

“HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT! I’M A GHOUL AND I’M NOT A MONSTER I’M NOT HEARTLESS NOW AM I!” she screamed as her eye turned black and red, then she ran off..

“SHIN-HYI!” the girl Touka put a hand on my shoulder

“Let her cool off...now follow me”

Shin-Hyi’s p.o.v

I was sitting at the edge of the roof of the tallest building looking down at the normal people walking around below, I was sitting there when I heard a grunt from behind me it made me jump and quickly get up.  I followed where it came from. When I reached the spot where I heard the grunt I saw Nishiki hurt.

“Omg my god, Nishiki. Are you alright what happened?!”

“A stupid one eyed he...uh… m-must be a new one cause he had the same kagune as Rize”

“What did he look like?”

“He had black hair, grey eyes and over the ghoul eye he had a eyepatch”

“Your talking about Kaneki”

“He’s a friend of mine”

“Oh yeah, well he’s really strong and good with them things for a new ghoul” I laughed and saw him bleeding

“Here let me help you” I pulled down my sleeve and revealed my shoulder. He grunted again.

“Shin-Hyi, I can’t.”

“Just do it, it’ll help you.” He grunted and bit into my shoulder. Once he was done, I pulled my sleeve back up and helped him onto his feet.

“See I told you it would help” he put his arm around my shoulders and sighed.

“What would I ever do without you, kiddo.”then ruffled my hair

“Wanna join me?” I said standing on the edge of the building holding my hand out.

“Heh why not”and grabbed my hand, I pulled him to me and then started falling backwards. We yelled in amusement and used our kagunes to help us land softly on the ground. I looked at him.

“Come back to anteiku with me”

“Fine” we climbed a building and jumped building to building until we reached anteiku.

Yoshimura’s p.o.v

I was finished up with Kaneki when Shin-Hyi came in with Nishiki all happy.

“I see your better now, Shin-Hyi”

“Yeah thanks to Nishiki here” there was blood bleeding through her shirt from her shoulder and everyone's eyes turned.

“Shin-hyi, follow me please” I started walking and she followed while everyone got their eyes under control.

“What happened, to your shoulder?” I said as I pointed to it.

“Uh well you see Nishiki was hurt badly and he’s my friend and I just wanted to help” she put her head down

“You know that you can’t help everyone right”

“Yes sir, I know but Nishiki is one of my closest friends besides Touka”

“I know just be more cautious next time okay”

“Okay”

“Now you're excused” she walked away and went to clean herself up I’m guessing

Shin-Hyi’s p.o.v

I cleaned my shoulder and wrapped it up in gaze and changed my shirt into something comfy and warm since it was cold outside. I went and knocked on Touka’s door.

“COME IN!” I opened the door and saw her doing her nails.

“Holy crap are you doing your nails!”

“Shut up will you no one knows but you”

“AND ME!” Hinami came running with more colors and then gave me a hug

“Oooooooh hello my beautiful Hinami” I squeezed her lightly she laughed

“Hi Shin-Hyi how have you been?”

“Eh I’ve been living how about you”

“I’m good I guess”

“NO FAIR SHE GETS A HUG AND I DON’T!” Touka yelled then Hinami ran and gave her a hug too. We all were having a girls night when something fell past the back door and Hinami went to get it. Turns out it was a parakeet bird and it’s wing was hurt so we brought it inside.

“Lets name him Hetare” Hinami said

“Sure and have you guys seen Kaneki?”

“Yeah he was outside” I nodded and got up to find him. I finally found him sitting on a bench at the nearby park so I sat next to him.

“Hey Kaneki I’m sorry about earlier” he looked at me

“Me too I didn’t know you were a ghoul or anyone else there”

“You know not all of us are heartless man eating monsters”

“Yeah I get it now since I’m one” we laughed and started walking back to anteiku.

Next Day Shin-Hyi’s p.o.v

Me and Touka were off today when Yoshimura needed to talk to us. We found him by the front door talking with Kaneki.

“Yes sir you needed us?”

“Yes I would like both of you to take Kaneki here to see Uta for his mask since he’s one of us now”

“WHAT IT’S MY DAY OFF!”

“Come on Touka it’ll be fun” I shook her shoulders

“Fine”she smiled and so did I.

15 minutes later Uta’s p.o.v

I was sitting on one of the pedestal of where I keep my made masks when I heard the door open and Touka and Shin-Hyi and another fellow came in so I quickly put a blanket over me and sat there.

“Hey Uta it’s us we need a mask for the new comer here” I sat there and watched the new one come up to me and take the blanket off.

“Boo” he screamed and fell when Shin-Hyi came and helped him up while laughing.

“It’s ok Kaneki Uta here doesn’t bite” she told him and he laughed a little

“Are you sure about that Shin-Hyi?”

“Yes I’m sure Ooooooota”

“Stop doing that...so what kind of mask do you want Kaneki?”

“I don’t know I’ve never been mask searching before” I was shocked he must be a new ghoul? I thought

“And Uta if your thinking yes he is a new ghoul”

“How did you read my mind...ok Kaneki take a seat right here” he took a seat and I started measuring his facial features”

“So what kind of mask are you looking for?”

“I don’t know one that fits my face and covers my eye”I nodded and pulled out an eye

“Wanna snack?” he gagged

“N-no thanks I’m good”

“Hmm what a waste” as I licked the eye.

1 hour later Shin-Hyi’s p.o.v

We were walking back to anteiku when we saw Hide’s bike out front so Kaneki ran inside and there he was sitting at the bar.

“Hey Kaneki how you feeling and what are you doing here?”

“I work here now with Shin-Hyi what are you doing here”

“I came to talk to Shin-Hyi”

“Oh she’s outside” he nodded and walked outside.

Shin-Hyi’s p.o.v

Touka went inside a little bit ago and Hide walked out and over to me.

“Hey Shin-Hyi”

“Hi Hide what are you doing here?”

“Um I actually came to talk to you”

“Oh yeah about what”

“Well I was wondering if um you would like to go out with me?”

“Like a date or to be your girlfriend?”

“Both” he rubbed the back of his neck and I smiled

“I would love to” I moved his hand from his neck and kissed it then smiled. He smiled back and hugged me.

“So where do you wanna go out tomorrow cause it’s getting pretty late and ghouls are gonna be out soon so Imma get going okay.”

“I don’t know I’ll think about it and text you okay and yeah get going before a ghoul gets you” I said as I poked his chest he laughed. He got on his bike and left while he was a distance away I made sure that he got home safely so that way no other ghoul took him from me. I ran back to anteiku and walked inside smiling.

“What are you so happy about?” everyone asked

“I have a boyfriend” I smiled

“Who” Touka asked and everyone looked at me

“Hide, that’s what he wanted to talk to me about and it was the cutest thing ever” Kaneki looked at me

“Your dating your best friend?”

“Well yeah there’s nothing wrong with that”

“But that’s messed up”

“Kaneki just because your date went wrong doesn’t mean mine will!” he gasped and looked down and I instantly felt bad.

“Kaneki I’m sorry I really didn’t mean it” I went to grab his hand but he pulled it away and walked out. I put my head down and mumbled

“I always mess everything up” then I went to my room.

Later that night Kaneki’s p.o.v

I was walking around the park when I saw a couple with their child walking by. I put my head down and continued walking till I saw a bench open near the water. Must be nice to have a family and to be human but instead I’m left with no family and stuck with being a ghoul. Then I thought about what Shin-Hyi said earlier and it hit me hard but she said sorry and I was just so rude and left she must be mad at me now. I must say I’m sorry now I thought. Then I got up and started walking back then started running. I felt so angry with myself and I didn’t know why. Then my kagune came from my back and I jumped on top of a building and ran even faster until I made it to Shin-Hyi’s backdoor and tapped on it. I waited a couple minutes when she quickly opened the door and tackled me to the ground.

“Who are you and what are you doing here”

“Ah it’s me Kaneki” she got off and helped me up.

“Why are you knocking at my back door I thought you were gonna come in and kill me, heck I thought you were the ccg”

“Sorry I just wanted to say I’m sorry about earlier when I left”

“It’s okay and I’m sorry too you know I didn’t mean it”

“I know what are friends for if they can’t forgive each other right”

“Right” she smiled and it made me happy.

The End

Tokyo ghoul is my favorite anime and that's what inspired me to create this story.