Hatchet Alternate Ending | Teen Ink

Hatchet Alternate Ending

By ShaggyDude BRONZE, Newnan, Georgia
ShaggyDude BRONZE, Newnan, Georgia

Family is not one thing. It is everything.

As Brian continued his feast, he thought about Thanksgiving again. He thought about everything he ate, which made him hungrier. So he ate all but 5 packets of the food. After he ate all of that food, he threw up. After he threw up, he went to making his shelter nice and neat again. He put the foam sleeping pad on the ground and put his sleeping bag over it. Still a little nauseous, he picked up the rifle. It feels different, he thought, I guess I can try it out in the morning. He started to doze off, thinking about the Secret. He then remembered that it was day, but he didn’t care, he felt so tired after throwing up.
He then heard the plane. He didn’t expect it at all, and since he didn’t know if the pilot could see him. He fired a flare. Of course he knew it was day, but he still tried it. He watched the flare go up thinking, “Yes, the pilot has to see my flare.” Brian knew the pilot saw it, right before it hit him. As soon as the wind picked up and moved the flare slightly off course, Brian knew what was going to happen. “Holy...” Brian didn’t get to finish the sentence, the explosion cut him off. The plane came barreling through the atmosphere at top speeds, burning the plane and most of its contents.
After the plane crashed, Brian decided to go and see if he could find anything. He took his bow, hatchet, and lighter. When he got to the plane, most of it was surprisingly still intact. He cut through the plane with his hatchet. Inside the plane it looked a little like the Cessna, but it was bigger. When he looked around he saw the pilot. Half of the pilot’s face was scarred off leaving nothing but bone, the other half wasn’t completely, but it was definitely scarred. When Brian looked at the pilot he thought about the other pilot.The thought of both of the pilots made him throw up again. After he finished, he noticed the survival pack.
He thought that one survival pack would be enough, but when he checked the inside he noticed that half of it was burnt. He then saw the phone. “Yes!” Brian screamed. When he pulled out the phone he tried to turn it on. It didn’t work. When he finally gave into the fact that the phone didn’t work, he went through the rest of the bag. The only things that weren’t burnt where a couple of food packets, another lighter, a duck caller, a machete, and an axe. Well, he thought, it could be worse. Right after he said “Worse”, another explosion destroyed the plane, while Brian was still in it. Brian got knocked out by a flying piece of metal. The last thing he saw was the pilot, flying into the air.
?
When Brian awoke, he noticed that something heavy was on him. “What is this,” Brian said, “it smells like a dead... AHHHHHH!” He screamed. The dead pilot was on top of him. He sat up and ran away from the terrible place with his hatchet, bow, duck caller, food packets, and his machete. When he got back to camp, he threw up again. When he looked at all of his supplies he realized if he really tried he could make through the winter.
?
20 Years Later
Brian has lived through these 20 long years. Through each winter and summer. He has done the impossible. He is a survivor. 20 years to the day he crashed, a plane saw his fire. The man who rescued him was a man named Mike McAfee. Mike flew Brian all the way back to his hometown, only to find out that his parents were dead. Brian got lots of money for his story out in the wild. He used that money to buy a house. He got many interviews, but he mainly remembered one. He was waiting for a man to come to his house, because he wanted to make a book with Brian in it. The book writer’s name was Gary Paulsen. Even though Gary got all of the details from Brian, he tweaked the story so that it wouldn’t be so sad when he got home. After that Brian became a billionaire, and even though he had a lot of money he wanted to die in his shelter that he made those 20 long years. Brian made all the arrangements of who would get his money, then he went back to his lake, which was later named “Hatchet Lake” which gave Gary an idea for his book title. Brian eventually died in his shelter, but he died with his Hatchet in his hand, thinking about everything that his hatchet got him through. His last thought was “Hatchet”.

I had to write an alternate ending for "Hatchet" By: Gary Paulsen, for my language arts class. My teacher said that it was so good that I should submit it to Teen Ink. So here it is.

M4kay1aa said...
M4kay1aa, Perth, Other
wow this article is amazing! I never thought that you would add Gary Paulsen into it which I thought was really good. In my English class I have to write an alternate ending for the novel Hatchet and you have now inspired me to extend his long living journey still at the lake that Brian crashed in. I would have liked to see Brian's parents’ reaction when they found out that he was still alive but I’ll add that into my story. I really enjoyed reading this and seeing what other people would write and imagine if Brian would survive or not!