Fallout | Teen Ink

Fallout

By JSundae SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
JSundae SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

As the eyes open slightly to the piercing sun, the mind wanders endlessly without thought until it can process its surroundings. The dawning of a new day goes hand in hand with new adventures just waiting to be found. After the Nuclear fallout centuries ago, who will keep track of this new age of humanity? All senseless efforts. Checking daily supplies brings a surprise. Food and water stock is down, and almost at a day's worth of meals, possibly two days if rationed.
“I’ll need more supplies.” the Wanderer thought. The lone wanderer gathers his things to explore the vast reaches of the Wasteland and sets out for the day. It’s rough out in the desert of the wasteland where without face protection, you could inhale tons of dust that’s blowing past your face. The intense winds make it hard enough to handle walking in the first place. Walking aimlessly, until the search for a structure finally appears through the horizon. Pondering over what to do if no food surfaces. Suddenly, the Wanderer seems to realize the coolness of the wind, the silence of the wind after gusts pass by repeatedly. It’s an uneasy, edgy feeling the Wanderer can’t seem to shake off. Looking around side to side, forward and backwards. After all the anxiety the Wanderer finally understand this feeling. The feeling pure loneliness.
Marching on, the calmness sets in the mind. The uneasiness goes away and the Wanderer continues on. The sand seems to clear a bit. All of the sudden, a large gray shadow appears in the distance. Getting closer, the Wanderer is able to see through the dust. It appears to be a worn down factory. Parts of the siding are torn down and the right door seems to be barely hanging on its hinges. The Wanderer pushes the door down and coming inside the old structure. Gasping for fresher air inside the facility, the Wanderer is finally able to take off his face covering. Stepping through the interior the Wanderer finds many used cans and trash. “Of course, nothing useful.” Almost instantly after uttering those words, a crackle is heard further down the interior.  Moving slowly, the sound of the Wanderer’s footsteps is still slightly heard, almost as if the building is echoing the quietest of sounds. The Wanderer raises his rifle as he gets closer to where the sound was heard. Entering a hallway from the main lobby the Wanderer stops for a moment to take a breath and continues on. At the end of the corridor, a single door appears with no other one around it. The Wanderer holds down his rifle to grasp the door handle. He pushes the door opens... and what awaits is a startled Feral Ghoul!!
A dehumanized mutant zombie that came from a human prolonged to radiation sickness which distorts and decays the skin. Some are lucky and still have a normal brain that still thinks like a normal human otherwise known just as Ghouls. Others known as Feral Ghouls are the latter half.
The Feral springs at the Wanderer, and the Wanderer instantly reacts and puts up his rifle. One click and the heart skips a beat. The gun jams. The Wanderer still has enough time to throw his rifle at the ghoul distracting it for a few seconds before bolting back to the main lobby. The Wanderer runs up a flight of stairs as the Feral Ghoul chases behind. Just before the ghoul could reach out and grab the Wanderer, the Wanderer opens, closes, and locks the door at the top of the steps behind himself. The Wanderer drops to the ground out of terror with his back against the door and continues to pant constantly. Multiple bangs come from the other side of the door for ten to fifteen seconds. Time isn’t the best thing to be running through the Wanderer’s mind right now. As the banging stops and everything begins to quiet down, the Wanderer focuses his attention on the back of the room. There he sees a pile of purified water and fresh fruits. The Wanderer gets up off the ground and moves towards the supply where he opens his backpack and fills all the supplies inside then closes it up again. Looking around there seems to be no other way out other than the door he came through. He unlocks the door slowly and pushes it slightly to peek out to see if the Feral is still there. Sure enough it is, but facing the opposite direction he sees the perfect opportunity. The brave adventurer bursts through the door pushing the Feral Ghoul down the stairs in the process as he also runs down the steps with quick pace. With everything in tact, he runs out the lobby doors and heads back into the Wasteland.

Jetting once in awhile to gain good distance from that old factory, the lone Wanderer finally reaches his dwelling place. After throwing everything inside, the Wanderer looks back to where he came from and what is barely visible, through the sandstorm, he sees what appears to be… a human silhouette...