The TARDIS Meeting | Teen Ink

The TARDIS Meeting

February 21, 2014
By deafening-fan GOLD, Kutztown, Pennsylvania
deafening-fan GOLD, Kutztown, Pennsylvania
10 articles 1 photo 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien


Abby groaned as her alarm blared in her ear. “Bloody clock,” she mumbled as she slammed it quiet. This is Abby Richmond. She is 5’ 7ish with light brown hair and grey blue eyes, and she is about to have a very exciting morning.
The new flat-keeper moaned quietly as she rubbed her eyes to wake up and get ready. The sun shined through the window and she got out some jeans and a gray long sleeved shirt. She shivered as the cold November air pressed into the shabby little flat. She hopped downstairs and flicked her old little tele on to the news. She rushed to put a kettle on and start the toast. This is how her entire morning went every week day…. Until suddenly she heard a low moaning…. A wheezing almost. Radiator? She thought. She just shook her head and resumed watching the tele. Suddenly the ground shook and she fell over. “What in the name of the Queen?!” She grabbed onto the kitchen cabinet as the wheezing grew louder and she saw a blinding flash hit in the field that her kitchen window faced. The rumbling stopped and she got up. She stared outside and grabbed her bathrobe and slapped her shoes on.
The field was a mess with upturned dirt, rock, and rubble. She coughed as smoke poured from a crater and she approached warily. She waved the smoke away and she saw a little blue box with the words ‘Police Call’ on it. She tiptoed ever so slowly towards it.
Suddenly, the door flew open and she scrambled back. A tall, skinny, blonde man emerged from the puzzling blue box. Abby stared at him and he hauled himself up with a groan. He stood and looked around the field.
“Well I guess it’s a bit shabby but who can tell when it’s 1776?”
“What?” Abby said, as she heard the strange man utter the sentences. He turned around and he was wearing a messed up shirt with khakis. He looked at Abby with a puzzled expression.
“I have a feeling this is not 1776?” He held his hand out and she took it.
“Uhm…. No…. its 2014…..” she said as he helped her up. He immediately began looking around again.
“Ah yes, that would explain the flats and cars.” He turned back to Abby. “Oh dear how rude of me. Let me introduce myself.” He did a slight bow. “I am the Doctor.”
“Doctor… what?” the Doctor stared at her with a surprised expression.
“Well that’s a new one. Do you happen to own a house nearby? I am starving! But of course with changing and all, it really does build up an appetite!” Abby tried to understand the flood of words being thrown at her and led the strange man to her home. “Oh this is very nice!” the Doctor said as he wiped his feet on the mat and looked around the small living room.
“Excuse me but where did that blue box come from… and who are you?” He smiled and looked over to Abby.
“Well that’s the question isn’t it? Gotta make myself a history ya know? Anywho, are there any male clothes in the house?” Abby just nodded and pointed to her father’s old room that he had taken when in town. The Doctor disappeared into the room and Abby turned her attention to the fast approaching police cars. Reporters began coming to the scene and special services even showed up.
“What do you think?” Abby turned to face the Doctor and stared at him. He was wearing a dark tie with a blue shirt and a dark brown vest. Over the vest he adorned a tweed blazer with his khakis.
“Oh dear lord above what are you wearing?”
“It’s called tweed. Used to wear it but back then I was more into bow ties and fezzes.” He shrugged and dusted a piece of lint of it. “Now for some shoes!” He went to the shoe box and rummaged through it madly. Abby stared at him and didn’t know what to think. He bemused her, with his fast forwardness and even faster tongue. He finally pulled out a pair of men’s penny loafers and put them on. “Perfect fit! How do I look?” He smiled and stood straight. Abby kept staring at him.
“Truthfully? You either look like an idiot or my dad… I’m still debating over which.” The Doctor’s smile barely faltered.
“Well, let’s go with your dad. I am over 1000 years old. I believe the tea is done, oh good!” He walked quickly to the stove and took the whistling kettle off it and poured it into two cups. Abby covered her her eyes and shook her head.
“No, no, no, no, no. This is not happening. There is no madman in my house stealing my father’s clothing that came from that little blue thing. Oh god just wake up Abby.” The Doctor just watched her as she paced the room, and he quietly sipped his tea.
“I’m not just any madman,” he said as she turned to face him again, chewing her lip thoughtfully. “I’m a madman with a little blue box that can take you anywhere in time and space.”
“Anywhere?”
“Anywhere,” he assured her and took another sip of tea.
“Alright Doc…. Show me.” He smiled and got up, but as he stood there came a sharp rapping on the door. He immediately looked towards the door and fell behind the counter. “What are you doing?”
“Shush! Go answer the door, but don’t tell them I’m here.” As the knock came again, harder this time, he ducked behind the counter. Abby shook her head and walked to the door. This was crazy. What if he’s escaped from jail? What if the police was trying to catch him? What ifs raced through her mind as she opened the door. A bald man in an overcoat and a tall, blonde woman were on her doorstep. News reporters, neighbors, and police swarmed outside.
“Hello Ms. Richmond. I am Kate Stewart and this is Mr. Wells. We were wondering if you have seen this man.” She held up a picture of an older man with a sharp face and green eyes.
“Oh… no. Sorry, can’t say that I have.” As Abby began closing the door, something crashed from the back room.
“What was that?” The lady put her foot in the door.
“Oh that? That was just my…. Cat.” Abby smiled and began closing the door again but the bald man opened it. The lady, the bald man, and two other men went into the house. The two men searched the upstairs as the bald man went down to the basement. They all came back and said there was no sign of the Doctor. Abby tried to control her breathing as they said the name. It couldn’t be the same guy! The lady looked around the kitchen and saw the half-drunk tea and the full cup. She scoured the kitchen until a faint bump and a groan was herd from under the cabinets. Abby covered her eyes as the woman opened the cabinet, revealing a much squished and very uncomfortable Doctor.
“The Doctor, I presume?” The two men helped (mostly dragged) the Doctor out of the sink cabinet. “Take her away,” The lady said with a flourish of her hand and the soldiers began hauling Abby away.
“Doctor! Help!” Abby yelped as they took hold of her arms. The Doctor rushed passed the woman shoved the soldiers away. “Ms. Stewart, Abby Richmond is under my protection! Where ever I go, she goes.” The woman nodded and Abby was released. She scurried over to the Doctor. He smiled and whispered, “You said you wanted to go on an adventure…. You ready?” Abby stood a little straighter.
“Of course.” Abby replied. The Doctor laughed.


The author's comments:
This is just a starting piece, I will be revising it into a larger fiction that goes on. Stay Tuned!