The Nargles | Teen Ink

The Nargles

By Bella_Rose7 GOLD, St. Marys, Pennsylvania
Bella_Rose7 GOLD, St. Marys, Pennsylvania

As I ascended the aged spiral staircase, I felt my pulse become electric. For I instantly recognized the pearly blonde-haired figure that was perched upon the worn edge of the windowsill in front of me. Her pale skin was almost glowing in the sunlight as she gazed wondrously out at the ice crystals that were falling from the clear winter sky. She did not acknowledge my presence, though my clunky, oafish footsteps made it nearly impossible not to. It seemed she was always lost in a daydream.
I clasped my clammy palms together as I approached her subtle figure. "H-hey Luna!" I stuttered, waving briefly as I took a step forward. Her dazed, aqua eyes wandered about her surroundings until they swept upon my own.
"Hello, Neville." She hummed dreamily. There was something off about her tone. I walked closer.
"Is everything..okay?" I questioned sheepishly, swaying slightly.
"Oh yes. I'm just..thinking." she sighed, distracted. I awkwardly trotted over to where she sat and joined her on the chipped, wooden windowsill.
"Um..What about?" My voice cracked.
"All sorts of things." she cooed, as her gaze remained fixed upon the gentle snowfall beyond the window.
We sat in uncomfortable silence for a while, but Luna didn't seem to notice. I stared at my hands. I was dumbstruck as I desperately tried to come up with a conversation.
"They really shouldn't hang mistletoe here." My eyes darted over to Luna's ethereal face as she spoke. Her gaze was now transfixed upon the top of the window frame. I turned my head to inspect the sprig of mistletoe that hung above us. "They're infested with nargles."
I glanced at her as she said this, nodding slowly and hesitantly, my mouth agape due to the abnormally large size of my front teeth. Luna now looked at her own hands dejectedly.
"Of course, I don't suppose anyone believes that they exist." she muttered in an airy tone. I again found myself at a loss for words as yet another rush of silence fell upon us.
"Do you think I'm...loony?" she inquired dreamily, now looking up, allowing her sea-like eyes to greet mine. I felt a nervous jolt shoot through my body. I stared at her for a moment, again with my mouth ajar.
"No! No of course I don't!" I stammered, shaking my head vigorously. Luna nodded comprehensively, returning her gaze once more to the snow-covered grounds outside.
"Wh-why do you ask?" I gazed longingly at her profile.
"Oh I don't know. It seems that most people find me a bit odd. They don't talk to me very much....I suspect they don't really like me." Her usual quirky tone was now clouded. I didn't understand. She never cared about how others viewed her. She turned her head once again from the window, and looked at her feet, the sadness apparent in her eyes. I felt my body hesitate. Looking up at Luna's gleaming face, I leaned in. Our lips met, sending me into a whirlwind of new emotions. I drew back, opening my eyes to find big crystal-blue ones looking back at me. I took her hand as I whispered. "I believe in nargles."