The New Heroes (Part 8) | Teen Ink

The New Heroes (Part 8)

By SpawnofNerdom GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma
SpawnofNerdom GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma

How's it goin bro?

Ed
“Come on, Purple Puss! Is that the best you got?” Ed was taunting Zemo, and he had to admit, it was kind of fun. And let’s not forget risky. “Insolence!” he yelled, slapping Ed across the face. Ed, however, couldn’t really fight back. For one, he still had the collar, and he was also in restraints, pinned up against a wall by titanium straps. Instead of using a whip like Ringmaster, he used his sword. He cut slash after slash after slash on his stomach. There were only shred left of cloth from his new shirt. Luckily, he wasn’t cutting in too deeply, but Ed was still bleeding badly. He winced as Zemo punched his stomach. “I will make you stronger! You will not be a failure like your mentor!” he said with his thick German accent. This is something new, Ed thought. How did she fail?
Later
He wasn’t on the wall anymore. They had moved him a couple of hours earlier. Now, he was back in his case, trying to get to sleep. That, however, was a big mistake on his part. When he finally got to sleep, he had nightmares that seemed all too real.
They took place right after the shooting. They knocked Alex out, and took her to Riker’s Island. Then, about a week later, she was opening this box in pink and red paper. But the box was triggered. When she opened it, it exploded. A half-second before it went off though, he saw fishing wire. To the naked eye, it was impossible to see. Luckily, he had enhanced vision, as well as smell, strength, and hearing. The dream switched again, to some type of hospital. Steve was there. He noticed his sister had no left arm. Then, on a walk to a window-less room, there was an explosion. Mecha-dude threw Ringmaster, and Alex went after her. Then they slipped. He woke screaming, as they were free falling.
The scariest part was that he felt what Alex had felt, and instead of him being with her, he was her. “Keep it down!” He almost drowned, and remembered that he had tubes for breathing. He looked a little more closely at his cylinder prison. Two and-a-half inches of bullet proof glass, and a titanium-steel alloy for shackles they made him wear as he slept. The liquid he was in was supposed to be some kind of special formula so his wounds could heal faster. It reeked, and stung-a lot. He groaned. Where ever you are, Alex, he thought. I just hope your having a better time than me.
Wolverine
He heard Alex scream, and he was on the other side of the mansion. What wonderful hearing I have, he thought. “That sounds really bad,” Spider-Man said. Wolverine his cigar on the ash tray and said, “It’s friggin’ annoying is what it is.” He sighed. “But, if I was getin’ a new arm, I’d probably be screaming to.” In all honesty, he did feel sorry for her. She grew up in a Hell-hole, only to find a new Hell waiting for her up top. It was the same with Ed. But something was still bothering him. “What’s buggin’?” Spidey asked. “Nothin’ you need to worry about, Bub.” He scoffed. “Yeah right, ‘Bub’. You have this look on your face that just screams ‘Something is seriously buggin’ me’.” Wolverine just looked at him and sighed. “Those two have been threw ten types of Hell, and now there goin’ threw more suffrin’. Kids like them should learn to live happy, even though they’re far from normal.”
Alex
Alex clutched he shoulder in pain. She was sitting up with her wings in some weird machine that fixed broken bones. However, since there were no straps to hold her down, Sue (Invisible Woman, Fantastic Four) had to hold her down with some force fields, but they didn’t last long. She’s broken four of them already. “Sorry,” she grunted. Sue had a nosebleed now. I’m gonna rest for a few minutes.” Reed nodded, “Ok, Darling.” He was helping Jane (Thor’s lover, in the comics, she’s a doctor.) “You know,” Jane started. “I know grown men who would be crying from this pain.” “I probably would too if I could.” Crap, Alex thought. Said too much. They stopped for a moment. “What do you mean?” Sue asked. “I can’t cry. They took my tear ducts out.” They just looked at her for about a minute or so, and began working.
About twenty more minutes of screaming in pain, and they had finished. “Now, all we have to do left is connect the nerves to the arm. “This won’t hurt as much as the other stuff,” Reed assured her. She nodded and said, “Hit me with your best shot.” He pulled out a wrench and tightened something. “OW!” She screamed. He connected the metal plate back on her arm. “How’s it feel?” She moved it around, and stretched it. “Ya’ll did an awesome job. Thank you.” He smiled at her. He’s like Tony, but older and more serious. He handed her a package. “Open it up,” he said. She did, and what she found was a black hoodie. On it was her half of the Yin-Yang. On the back of it, there were two holes made for her wings. She grinned from ear to ear. “We have one for Ed to. His is the opposite of yours.” “Cool.”
She found some of the other Avengers playing poker. Ben had his special hat on. Then there was Logan, Spider-Woman, Spider-Man, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage. “Ya’ll ain’t gonna believe how well it looks on me,” she said coming in. “Which one; the jacket or the arm?” She smiled. “Both.” Spidey jumped down from his spot on the roof. “I think it looks FABULOUS!” He said it in a girl’s voice. “Well I think that that’s the gayest thing I have ever seen,” Spider-Woman said. Alex laughed. She wouldn’t mind staying with these guys. She felt like they were her new family.
“Didn’t you guy say you’ve lived under New York your whole lives?” Iron Fist asked. She nodded. “Why?” “Well, you have this Southern accent.” She laughed again. “You’re just hearing things. I’ve never even been in the south.” Spidey shook his head. “I agree with him. Any of you guys hear it?” They all nodded their heads. Alex scoffed. “Ya’ll are crazy,” she said. “Must be because of the Ringmaster or something,” Ben said. “I have another question for you: why haven’t you changed into any animals yet? Ed said you guys could, and I haven’t seen any of that. Not even on the recon missions.” Alex was confused. She wasn’t able to morph into different animals. Ed could, but not her. Then again, either Fist had a listening problem, or Ed had mixed up his words-again. “I can’t. My cells aren’t stable enough for that. Ed’s are, but he never uses his because most of the time, it puts too much of a strain on his body, and wears him out in a fight a lot faster than hand to hand combat, so he doesn’t bother using it.” It was their turns to look confused.
“Why can Ed switch, but you can’t? Luke asked. “You remember when you first met us, and we told you we were 626 and 627?” He nodded. “Well, my structure and stuff was made before his, thus dubbing me as 626, making me just a few hours older than him, technically speaking. Because mine was first, they messed up more than they did with Ed’s biology.” They still looked confused somewhat confused, but they seemed to understand it well enough. She felt like she just explained the meaning of life.
Iron Man
It was a few days later, and he was back at HQ again. Something on his sensors was going crazy, and it wasn’t because of Alex’s new arm. But it was however, coming from her. He did all these different types of scans on his armor, until he finally found what he was looking for. It was lodged in her brain; in fact, her brain had developed around it. It finally dawned on him; it was a chip. He would talk to her about it later in a more private place.
Later
He had dragged Alex to Stark Towers, and they were in his office now. “We need to talk,” he said in the most serious tone of voice he could muster. “About what?” She asked, totally unfazed. “About you- well-what’s inside of you.” She seemed interested now. “What do you mean ‘what’s inside of me’?” she asked. Her voice was even more serious than his, and it was darker. It would seem angry and frustrated if her words weren’t laced with curiosity. ‘This,” he said pulling up 3-D holograms of her brain, and the little red spec that was the chip. She squinted at it. “What is that?” she said, pointing to the red spec. “That is a chip, and it’s in your brain. It was obviously put in when you were a kid, a baby even. Your brain has grown around it, so there’s no way to remove it without causing damage.” She muttered something under her breath. “What?” he asked. “You said you had the guy in the Mecha on the Helicarrier, right?” He nodded. “Good,” she said, unfurling her newly repaired wings. “We’re going to have a little chat.” With those words, she had opened the window and flew off. There was only one thought going through his mind. “Ah s***.”
Ringmaster
“You can’t keep me locked up here forever!” she screamed. The horrid agents of S.H.I.E.L.D were treating her as fairly as the African Americans got treated during the 1800’s. She still had cuts and bruises, and a few of her ribs were still healing. She didn’t have her red tailcoat, and they confiscated her whip. “Bastards,” she seethed. “Shut up,” Director Hill said as she walked in. “They are under my orders to bring you here, so if you have a problem, take it up with me.” She waved her precious soldiers off. The room was huge. There were computers everywhere, and in front of her was a giant window with an astounding view. “Like the view?” Hill asked. “It’s the last time you’re ever going to see daylight again.” Nancy snapped. With her bound hands, she hit the Director in the face. Hill stumbled, but didn’t fall. There were very few guards in the giant room, so when only a few showed up to help, they were easily taken down. She lunged for Hill, knocking her to the ground. As they grappled with each other, both noticed the two figures coming closer and closer. It was Iron Man and 626.
Alex
When they got there, they weren’t really expecting Hill to be on the floor with Ringmaster. She didn’t really have time to find a new entrance, so she broke the window and flew threw. When she was in, she folded her wings, grabbed the window, and used it as a spring board. She lunged straight for the Ringmaster, who was on sitting on top of Hill, beating on her chest. She hit her target with full force. She had her suspicions, but the scent quieted them. It was definitely her. Ringmaster had ended up on bottom, so it as possible for Alex to pick her up, and put her on her feet. When she did pick up her mentor, she held the collar of her shirt. That had given Ringmaster the opportunity to bite her. She bit Alex so hard, her hand bled. It hurt, but she didn’t show it. In fact, she had a bored look on her face like, ‘Are you serious? That’s the best you got?’ Alex set her down on the floor, and started to lead her. She felt a stab of pain in her arm, and turned around to find Hill, whom she had just saved, with and injection gun thing in her hand. “What the hell?” she demanded. “Tracking device,” Hill replied.
“Where are you keeping Jason?” she asked. Luckily, Stark had filled her in on their little conversation on the way up. “Follow me,” Tony said. A few minutes later, they were all in the interrogation room. Jason looked at her with apologetic eyes, and he reminded her so much of Ed. There was another stab of pain as she thought about him. Damn, she thought. Stay focused. “What do you know about the chip in our brains?” she demanded. She wanted to make this trip as short as possible. “What-Oh, I know what you’re talking about. It was put in a long time ago.” She put on the most threatening face she could think of. She glared at him straight on for a full five seconds before he started speaking again. “You two are more connected then you think. That chip allows you to speak to each other using thoughts. It’s been deactivated for years though.” She looked stunned. She had had a way of communicating with Ed this entire time, and she hadn’t even know it. Okay, she thought. Now I’m ticked off. “Is there any way of activating it?” she asked earnestly. “Well, I yeah, but I don’t know if it still works. It’s remote activated; the switch is on my armor.” “*Cough*-Low tech trash-*cough*” Tony said. Alex gave him a look that said ‘If you don’t shut up, I will personally take away your suits, and tell Pepper.’ “You’re going to have to get the suit from Hill, though.” Alex nodded, and let the officers by the door take him back to his cell. Unlike the Ringmaster, he didn’t resist. “Wait,” she said, not knowing exactly what she was doing. “We need him to activate something from his suit, so we just need you to watch him. Please?” They seemed annoyed by her pleading, but let her go anyway. One of them followed her, to show her where it was. I wonder what would happen if they knew I didn’t have clearance to even look at it.

As she lugged the entire suit of high tech armor over her shoulder, she wondered whether it would really work or not. What if he’s just lying? She asked herself. When she got to the door, she had to open it with her foot. Everybody turned to stare at her when she walked in. Jason examined it. “Okay, the switch should be right here,” he said, pressing a small blue button. Alex felt an unbearable pain in her head, and she fell, hitting her head on the metal table. Before she knew it, the world had slipped away behind a veil of darkness.
Ed
“Ah!” Ed screamed, clutching his head. It was night time, and he had been sleeping. Before he knew it, he was out cold like his sister.
Iron Man
“What did you do?” he demanded, aiming his repulsors at Jason. “I did exactly what you guys wanted me to do. The chips in their brains are activated, but it probably hurt her enough to knock her out because when hers is turned on, her brother’s is turned on too. I only have the switch for hers though, it’s a chain reaction.” Iron Man stormed out with Alex in his arms. When he saw the officers outside the door, he told them to take Jason back to his room, and to take the suit back to its case in the tech lab. She groaned in his arms and clutched her head. It was getting kind of difficult to carry her back to Avengers HQ as she curled up in the fetal position. Even when she’s unconscious she still feels pain. How is that even possible? When he got there, the only people there were Reed, Wolverine, and Ben. Reed followed him to the infirmary, and helped set her down on the bed. “What happened?” he asked. He sighed. “Well, there’s this chip in her brain. It was put in there a long time ago, but it was never turned on.” “Why would you want to turn it on?” “Because…It’s the only way we’ll be able to communicate with Ed.”
Ed
He groaned in pain as he held his head tight. “Vat is wrong with him? He has been in that position for three hours!” Zemo cried. Ed didn’t know how he could still hear them with the blood roaring in his ears. He was lying on the floor, curled up in a ball. Bits and pieces from his pas flashed in his mind. “What do you know about the chip in our brains?” It was Alex’s voice. He felt a stab of pain in his chest. He hadn’t realized how much he had missed his sister until he heard her voice. But what he couldn’t understand was what Alex was talking about. A chip? Then it all clicked into place. The reason he felt like his head was splitting in two, and the reason he heard her voice. He had a chip deep within his brain.