Dragon Quest Diaries #2 | Teen Ink

Dragon Quest Diaries #2

January 13, 2012
By RayBaytheDinosaur GOLD, Hampton, South Carolina
RayBaytheDinosaur GOLD, Hampton, South Carolina
18 articles 17 photos 159 comments

Favorite Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder


Dearest Journal,

I did wonderfully down in the mortal town of Angel Falls today. However, as soon as I got there, someone was speaking of me. It sounded as if he was doubting the Celestrians’ existence. It was a slightly rotten little mortal named Ivor, speaking with his friend, Hugo. Ivor was telling poor, patient Hugo that he could’ve sworn the name on the guardian statue in the town had said Aquila before, and that now it says Arabella. How odd that a mere human would notice such a thing, it is meant for them to forget when a new Celestrian obtains responsibility of the town.

Anyhow, I gave him a little… tap on the back of the head. A young boy in the village asked me to after all, and Almighty, he needed it. After that slight run-in I hovered over to the church, where an older woman was searching for a ring. I took it on as my personal responsibility as the town guardian to find it, and oddly enough, it was a small brown dog on the other side of the bridge that helped me. I’m not one to take assumptions on whether or not the dog could sense my presence, but no sooner did I walk up to it, that it walked over to exactly the spot where the woman’s ring was. Fancy that.

After helping the woman, I cleaned out an older man’s stable for him. Rather disgusting work, but I did gather some benevolessence, and I made the poor guy happy. As soon as I left the stable, I saw Aquila awaiting me on the bridge. I was a little distraught that he felt the need to check up on my work, but of course I could not be rude. Aquila informed me that I was doing well, but that I had to remember not only to help living mortals, but non-living as well.

When I gave him a strange look, he pointed out a ghost standing to the left of the bridge and nodded for me to go to it. As I walked over to it, the ghost seemed rather happy to see me.

“No one else has bothered to give me the time of day recently,” he said sadly. I politely informed him that the reason could possibly be because he was dead, and he was quite surprised. “Well… I had no idea. I guess I can stop hanging around here, and move on then, eh?”

I smiled and nodded as the ghost-man flew gently into the sky in a beautiful cloud of blue. Lovely thing, the decent into heaven is. I returned to the bridge where Aquila stood, hoping he’d be pleased.

“Good work, Arabella. I was right about you being ready for this.” He said distractedly, obviously only half paying attention. He was looking up to the sky at something. I looked up and saw a rectangular golden figure with a shine to it, shooting through the starry sky. I heard the whistle and knew that it was the Starflight Express, a flying train that’s supposed to be for the emergency transport of Celestrians. I’ve heard many rumors that its even run by fairies, fancy that.

Aquila pulled himself out of the daze and stated that we should get back to the observary. Nodding silently, I pushed my white wings to the ground, propelling me upward. Flying is quite a perk of being a Celestrian. Feeling the wind through your hair and the freedom of soaring… there’s really nothing that could ever compare to it. I’m not sure what I would do without my lovely wings, but I know life wouldn’t be quite so grand. Flying up into the observary, Aquila turned to me and said, “I’ll report to Apus Major myself. You simply come up to Yggdrasil to offer the bennevolance when you’re ready,”

I nodded in respect before dashing to my quarters. I simply had to jot down what had happened before I go up to the world tree. Yggdrasil should have just enough bennevolance now to bear the fruits, Fyggs, so this shall be an important night. I think I’ll even bring you with me in case I should need to go somewhere. Wish me luck on a big night.

Love,
Arabella


The author's comments:
See description for #1