The Lost Traveler (Interlude 3) | Teen Ink

The Lost Traveler (Interlude 3)

By LiteratureWriter PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington
LiteratureWriter PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

'It's lacking the one thing that keeps us alive. It's lacking people. Stupid, oridinairy, brilliant people!'

It was just another day. Well, just another day in the in-between; my own perfect world.

I was wondering about--just like I normally do. But nothing was normal in the in-between.

As I reached the meadow--the beautiful meadow with apple grass and chirping birds-- I spotted a rock. It was in the middle of the field. But I had never seen it before.

I strolled closer and I noticed a man. He was sitting on that peculiar rock and was clad in a dark pinstriped suit. Although, I could tell that he wasn’t a businessman, he couldn’t be one. I had never seen him before; not in-between, not ever in real life.

I grew closer to him, and noticed the clear blue of sky above me, dotted with white cumulus fluff, mutate rather rapidly into a gray silt horizon of strato-nimbus tinged with the silver of an oncoming rainstorm.

Nearing the tuft of grass beside him, I stopped and took in his gloomy features.

‘I died, you know. Murdered. I was only fourteen,’ I said with a slight smile on my face but my voice remained grim.

‘So did I,’ he replied sorrowfully, continuing to look at the scenery in front of him.

‘How?’ I asked, truly wondering how a man so young could have died. Although, she was one to wonder it.

‘Trying to save the world. Aliens. I died in my lovers’ arms, poisoned. He died with me, but he’s immortal,’ he paused for a moment, drawing in a deep, shuttered breath, ‘-he’ll come back just like he always does.’

‘That’s awful,’ I stated, truly feeling sympathy for this man.

‘For me, or him?’ he asked dryly, his voice still tinted with grief.

‘Both,’ I replied, briefly looking down at the grass, ‘Must be awful to outlive so many friends, lovers, family. How could a man live a life so lonely?’

‘He’ll forget me, someday. Maybe not tomorrow, or next week, but someday. A thousand years time and he won’t remember me, just a blip in time,’ the man mourned as if he was reminiscing something.

‘Hopefully he’ll have something to remember you by,’ I said.

‘Just a picture, a moment captured in time forever,’ the man sighed, his voice ringing out as he faded into nothing.

The character, Ianto Jones, and his inane death inspired me to write this. The third interlude for this sequel.