The girl before Bella | Teen Ink

The girl before Bella

July 31, 2010
By DancerBabe SILVER, Tuscarawas, Ohio
DancerBabe SILVER, Tuscarawas, Ohio
9 articles 2 photos 55 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." -Eleanor Roosevelt
"Bad writers plagerize, good writers steal!"


The drizzle that had been going on all night, slowly came to a stop and the Cullens decided they would go for hunt. It had been a month since they last had been out and Jasper was looking grim.

Emmett was the first to catch the scent. Edward heard the thought in his mind, and he suddenly smelled it too. The scent was weak, but still there.

Edward sent Alice to go with Jasper back to the house, just in case. He took Rosalie and Emmet towards the smell.

When they found the source of the smell, it surprised them all. Lying on the ground near a thicket of trees was a beautiful girl. Her face was horror stricken, and she was gasping in agony. Edwards head was filled with the girl's screaming. There was blood all over the woodland floor. He was sure it would throw one of them into a frenzy. This girl's scent was drawing them all in and they could only hold out for so long.

Edward sent Emmett and Rosalie to get Carlisle. He was going to save her.

Carlisle was already on his way. A few seconds after Emmett and Rosalie left, he ran up next to Edward. He knelt down next to the girl shaking his head.

"Edward, what are you doing?" were his first words. Carlisle was thinking the same thing as Edward. "You had better think about this before you make that decision."

"We can't just leave her here to die." Edward knew he didn't have the control to change her, but Carlisle did. "You know I've never asked you to do anything like this, and we can't just leave her out her to die, alone."

What came next surprised them both. A scream like they had never heard, escaped from the girl's throat. The yell touched Carlisle's compassion.

"Edward, you'd better be sure about this."

"I am." was his only reply.

Right there in those dark, damp woods, Carlisle sank his teeth into her soft, exposed neck.


The next few months were difficult, for everyone. The Cullens moved to Alaska to help the new girl, Grace, adjust to the vampire lifestyle. Everytime a human came around Edward always got Grace under control. As she got used to being a vampire, she developed a power. When she was first transformed, she became amazingly beautiful. Rosalie even seemed jealous, though she would never admit it.

Grace never talked about her life before she was found by Edward. They didn't press her for details.

She adjusted quickly, quicker then anyone thought. When they had been in Alaska for only a few months, an unexpected visitor came to the Cullen house. Everyone, but Grace and Edward had gone hunting. Neither one of them caught the scent of the man until there came a knock on the door. Edward ushered Grace upstairs and into her room. Then, he opened the door.

Standing on the threshold was a vulnerable, old man. He was traveling with his dogsled team, and was hoping he would be able to warm himself by their fire, he told Edward.

It was then when Edward realized that it was extremely dangerous for this man to be here. He could die. He told the sad, cold man that he was not welcome here, and there was a house about five miles north that would help him. He was about to shut the door, when Grace appeared behind him.

"Edward, don't be rude." she said in a sweet voice and bid the man into their house. Edward gave Grace a questioning look. He could hear from inside her head "Trust me."

As though he couldn't read her mind Grace turned to Edward and said "Edward, build a fire in the fireplace, please.”

Edward was losing control. He willed his body to stay in the house, but he felt it moving towards the door. He needed to stay here to protect the man, but he was already outside. He had no idea what was going on with his body. He reached into the man's mind and was surprised to find that nothing was going wrong. He could see Grace's face and she didn't look tempted, at all. She was very composed, with that perfect smile planted on her porcelain face.

When he finally returned to the house, the man had left, alive. Soon after, the rest of the Cullens returned home. When Grace and Edward finished telling them the day's events, Carlisle agreed that Grace was out of the newborn stage. Edward and Carlisle, also, agreed that Grace had a special ability: control. Edward would not have left Grace and that man alone, without Grace having control over him.

Grace decided that she was ready to leave. She needed to be out on her own. Though she and Edward both loved each other very much, Grace needed to be free for a while. She set out on her own, and chose to settle down in Ohio. With help from papers she got from some friends of the Cullens, she was able to pass herself off as a hair dresser. She made certain to follow the Cullen way of life. Grace was tempted sometimes, but she had amazing control.

Grace knew she would return to the Cullens eventually, but for now she needed the freedom that was denied her before she was transformed. That freedom was the reason she had run away from home, not from home, but her boyfriend at home, at age eighteen. Which, led to her mugging and almost murder. Thanks to Edward and the rest of the Cullens, she was able to live for the rest of her life.

The author's comments:
I wrote this for one of my friends.