The opportunity of true love | Teen Ink

The opportunity of true love

As I layed down on the creamsude sofa besides the enormous french windows I looked at the distance watching birds fly under the glowing sun. I wanted to be free and make the right decision. I was suddenly reminded of how trapped and miserable I was, living a lavish life my immature self chose over true love.  The room was filled with the scent of the white heavenly lilies sitting on the counter which brought many memories. But one specifically, it was that one saturday morning of the year 1922. A couple days before my cousin nick had insisted me to go to his house for tea. He was desperate, it was almost like he was in love with me. He called and said

“Daisy my dear come and visit “ repeatedly

As i laughed i said “are you in love with me ?” His final response was

“I'll be waiting for you for tea” i had words on the tip of my tongue but he immediately hung up not letting me speak. Jordan, my best friend, walked in she was a little tense and stuttered which never happened but i didn't bother to ask why. As she sat down next to me she asked

“Has nick called?”

“Yes. I just had a quick chat with him “

She immediately looked at me in the eyes. She was horrified.

She outcried “what did that brute say?”

“He simply invited me over for tea” i looked at her surprised. She must've noticed because she apologized and said how she was having a tough day and she was feeling a little overwhelmed.

I answered in a very low voice

“Is that so?”

There was an awkward silence

“Or is there anything you have to tell me?”

With a simple response Jordan said  “no.”

As the days passed by I became suspicious i knew there was something going on between Jordan and Nick but I couldn't quite figure it out. At that time i lived at east egg with Tom and Nick lived at west egg. Although he lived right across from me i didn't visit since I stayed with my jealous husband inside the mansion most of the time after all he trusted me so it wouldn't be a problem going over to nick’s. Friday night i got a call from Nick again :

“Sorry to bother daisy dear I was just making sure you are coming over tomorrow”

“ well yes of course if it means i will be away from tom for a while” nick laughed nervously

“ is there anything you'd like to tell me “ i insisted

“You and jordan have been acting very rare lately”

He responded “no dear you must be paranoid, i'll see you tomorrow goodnight”

“Goodnight “ i then hung up.

It was a very chilly morning. I was feeling rare it was like my stomach was in knots. As 4 o'clock came closer and closer i grew more anxious i kept telling myself

“ i'm only going to see my dearest Nick” it's like i knew something unexpected was coming my way.

That day i wore a purple flapper dress with sleeves. When i arrived i was amazed by Nick's cottage it was simple yet so radiant and filled with flowers, it was surrounded by nature. The sunny day went well and made his cottage look splendent. He was standing by the door he exclaimed

“Daisy you made it!” as he came rushing to hug me i answered,

“Why wouldn't I ?”

“ i just saw you a couple of days ago  my dearest one, how are you so excited?”

Suddenly i saw what it appeared to be a figure peeking through the window, i pushed nick aside and asked “who is that?”

“Who is what?” he chuckled nervously.

“I must be paranoid since you and jordan have been acting so weird lately”

He opened the door for me I was in awe. It was the most beautiful place my eyes have ever seen. There were flowers all over but the place was filled with the flower i adore the most white lilies. There were boxes with red bows on it and the table was full with cakes. As i looked attentively i told Nick

“oh child, you really are in love with me”

he took long to answer and as i turned around slowly i was in shock and knew why nick insisted me in coming over. It was Jay Gatsby.

We both looked at each other for a very long time it had been 5 years since i last saw him.

His blue eyes and white smiled took my breath away.

His first words were “Hello.. Nice to see you again”

“Hello Jay it's been so long .” Nick was standing in between us he then took us to into the living room and he left.

Gatsby immediately rushed to him and had a small conversation with him. He came back you can tell he was anxious like me. Now that Nick wasn't there it was awkward silence.We stared at each other until he said

“ how have you been “

“I've been well i suppose you have been too”

“Indeed”  he said .It felt as if we've been together forever. He was the first love of my life and I was still in love with regardless the 5 years we were apart. It felt like home with him. We catched up to our current lives and he was decided to leave with me anywhere as long as i was with him. I knew i couldn't i was married to a very wealthy man and I didnt even know gatsby was alive but all i knew was that the love was there and it was something me and tom didn't have. I rejected him he had been doing the most for me just to see me and give me the life he promised me 5 years ago but at that time i only cared about my position in society. After that day i never saw Gtasb again. I now know that he has a wonderful family but most important they have love and it is something that me and Tom don't have. I  not only ejected the man who was willing to do anything for me but i rejected the opportunity of true love.

this was fan fiction for an assignment for my english class.