Long Lost Love | Teen Ink

Long Lost Love

November 13, 2018
By SavasiaLewis BRONZE, San Jose, California
SavasiaLewis BRONZE, San Jose, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was a cold, rainy day when I arrived at Nick's house for tea. I had no idea why he invited me over, only that he requested me not to bring Tom. Shortly after I arrived, we heard a soft knock at the door, and, as Nick opened it, I glanced at the man and suddenly my heart stopped. I realized it was Gatsby, the man I fell in love with when I was the age of eighteen. I ran back into the other room, hoping Nick would ask him to leave, but instead he invited him in. I didn’t know what to do, it had been so long since we’ve seen each other. I sat on the couch and Gatsby strolled in, but stopped his footsteps once he saw me.

“It’s so nice to see you again,” I said nervously.

He looked at me in shock, as if I was a ghost. Gatsby replied, “Why of course, it’s lovely to see you again as well,” he said, as he scrambled to the kitchen.

There were so many questions left in the air. Gatsby exited abruptly, and Nick went after him, stopping in the kitchen. Shortly after, Gatsby returned to the living room, alone.

When he walked in he said, “Nick went to go run a few errands.”

I used this as an opportunity to ask what had gone wrong, years ago. He looked at me and said, “I’m so delighted to be here with you, what have you been up to all these years?”

We’ve lived just a slight distance away from each other, but it flt like a million miles.

“I’ve been well Gatsby, and yourself?” I said, with tears rolling down my cheeks.

He wiped them and stared into my eyes.

“I’ve never stopped loving you, since the day we met.”

“I’ve got a family now, Gatsby, I’ll always love you, but it’s too late now.”

“I can give you everything you’ve ever wanted, and dreamed of now, just give me a chance Daisy? What do you say dinner tonight? Jordan, Nick, you and I?”

“Okay, but just as friends, Gatsby, I can’t do that to Tom.”

“Sounds wonderful!, I’ll pick you up at 8.”

I had left Nick’s a quarter to six to get ready for the night. When I arrived, there was no sign of Tom but I wasn’t necessarily worried about his whereabouts. I went straight to my closet, and picked out a lovely, appealing, teal dress to go with my cream-colored heels. Moments later, I heard a car approaching the driveway, and when I peeked out the window, I saw that it was Gatsby waiting for me. As I walked outside, his door opened and he came towards me, in an all gold tux that glowed in the night.

“Oh,my, you look lovely !” he said.

“You don't look too bad yourself.”

“Well, let’s get going we don’t want to be late!”

The night finally approached, when we arrived at the Gramercy Tavern where we met with Jordan and Nick. Jordan was wearing a bright red, tight-fitting dress, and Nick had on a plain white and black tux that could bore you, just by just looking at it. Shortly after, we all walked into the restaurant and reserved a table for four. The waitress quickly came over to our table to take our orders.

“I’ll have the beef tartare with red wine,” I said.

“I’ll take the kale and cabbage salad with wine as well,” Jordan replied.

“I’ll have Ruby Red Shrimp with ice water please?” Gatsby said.

“I’ll have the Ruby Red Shrimp as well; I’ve always wanted to try it,” Nick said loudly.

Moments later, our food was ready. The waitress placed each of our plates in front of us and we began to eat.

“This food is so delicious!”

“Quite delicious, If I do say so myself,” Gatsby replied.

Afterwards, we ordered desert. A three-layered chocolate covered cake. As we were waiting for dessert, Gatsby leaned towards me, with his hand on my face, and kissed me. I was speechless. Even though I addressed Gatsby as friends, the kiss meant more than that to me. All of the memories from when we were younger, started flashing through my head. At that moment, I realized Gatsby was the man I truly loved.

The night had ended, and we said our final goodbyes to Nick and Jordan. However we were not done with our night, so we left for the hotel, and lived happily ever after.


The author's comments:

 I chose to write this scene so that Daisy and Gatsby’s relationship could end the way I wanted: with them being in love, and being together, and having a good time like the good old days. Also, so they could catch up on what they’ve missed since they haven’t seen each other for 5 years.