this is me | Teen Ink

this is me

Hi, my name is Isabella and I am thirteen years old, I have brown hair and blue eyes, and I’m white as a ghost. I have this rear disease called Polymorphous light eruption also known as (PMLE). PMLE is when you are allergic to the sun and can only go out side at night. I live in New York City, and iv always wondered what it was like during the day. I spend most of my days doing school work, reading for fun, or looking out the window to see all the people.  All the windows in my apartment have a special screen over them so that the sun doesn’t affect me.

Every day after the regular kids get out of school,  my best friend Emily comes over and that is always the best part of my day. Emily and I know each other because our parents are best friends, and she is really the only friend I really have, I don’t even have any siblings, so Emily is all I have. I have always wondered what her life is like, and what it was like to go outside, go to school, go to party’s, go to amusement parks and ride rides. But none of those things will probably ever happen, all I can do is dream about it. I have read books about roller coasters at Disney and universal. I have also read about New York , and always dream about how much fun it would be.

I hate how I have to stay in side all the time.

It was summer time the kids were out of school, and I was still in my house. The only good part about summer was that while my mom was at work Emily would come over and let me into her “world.” To me this was the most interesting thing ever, it was like a movie, a fantasy to me. As the summer goes on I stay inside, Emily will come over as much as she can but I have to realize that she has a normal life unlike me.  I just wish I could live my life one day in hers.

It was Friday I was with Emily at my house. I was telling her how I would do anything to walk around town and go to a park. Just anything that teens do.  “What if we just went out side and stayed in your front yard and see if anything happens.” Emily said with a nervous but curious voice. “Ok I guess” I said with a excited tone. So I took my first step into the world. It was so beautiful I couldn’t even put it into words, the birds chirping, kids playing, and the sun shine. My head started killing me I didn’t think that it was anything, it must have been my mind playing games with me. “Common we should go inside now we don’t want to keep you out here for too long.” In a worried tone Emily said  “ 10 more minutes please!” I said. I could tell Emily was starting to worry from her playing with her hair to started to fidget. This was a very sad moment for me. Would it be the last time I see the sun shine? Will it be the  last time I year the birds chirping? I got up from where I was sitting, looked around hoping that this wouldn’t be the last time I seeing all of the beautiful things.

I got inside to my house, by this time I thought that my head ache would of gone away but it didn’t.  I laid down on my bed and took a nap hoping that I could sleep it off. I took a three hour nap, when I woke up my head ache was gone I felt perfectly fine. I thought this would be a good thing but it was completely the opposite with me having no bad reaction to this it made me want to go out side more.

It had been about two weeks sense the last time I had been outside, I missed it so much. That was the moment that I decided that I wasn’t gonna stay inside for the rest of my life.  That morning I started to back a pack my backpack for my day out in the sunshine.  I had called Emily the night before to tell her my plan. So that morning she came with her back pack all packed and ready for the day. Once my mom left for work we waited about 25 minutes and the our adventure began.

The first thing we did was went to go eat at a actual restaurant. It was just like the movies, neon lights, poster, and booths. The next thing we did was just walk around the town. I got to see the tall buildings, all the people, all the dogs, and all the happy children. The next thing that I really wanted to do is go to one amusement park. Emily gave me two choices Disney, or universal I chose disney because I grew up watching all the Disney princess movies and still currently watch them. So we got onto the bus

“This is the stop for Disney land” the man said over the intercom. I stood up and started to prance off the bus once we finally got into the magical park after the long line the first thing I wanted to do was go and see that castle that I have read so much about. While walking to the lie I started to have this awful dizzy feeling I had to sit down the last thing I felt was my head hitting the floor and I saw black.