The Tragic but Epic Beginning of the Sky and Sea | Teen Ink

The Tragic but Epic Beginning of the Sky and Sea

By TheGeekyOne SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York
TheGeekyOne SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York

“When I’m 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I’ll be reading Harry Potter. And my family will say to me, ‘After all this time?’ And I will say, ‘Always.’”-Alan Rickman

There once was a beautiful woman named Okeanos, who lived in a world that harbored the beings of gods and humans, or better known as the demigods. In this world she was restrained from contact with the ordinary human world, as well as contact with the gods. She was trapped in between the two worlds that would allow her freedom, because her mother did not want any knowledge of her existence circulating. Her mother believed that she was too draining, and sad to be around others. She could leave a mortal to kill himself, and a god too upset to do good for mortals. Okeanos lived in a grand house, completely surrounded by land for miles and miles on end. In fact the world was dry with land, with little water resources scattered across the Earth. The most interesting thing that she could see out of her window with her naked eye was the tree that her father planted for her outside her window. It was decorated with simple, but lovely flowers that bloomed once every month. Her father, was a simple man before his death. He lived only to exist. However upon finding out her confined fate, he abandoned her to find her ray of hope. He traveled the world for something rarely heard of, a tree. He traveled for over a thousand days, when he found a small valley, with a baby tree at the center surrounded by fresh water. He gathered the tree in his arms, putting it in a pot he brought, and watering the tree, hoping it will survive the journey. Upon his arrival he planted the thriving baby tree below Okeanos’ window, and burst into the house to show his little girl the sight. Unfortunately the only thing he found inside was his death, for the mother of his child, the goddess of wisdom Athena, killed him for abandoning her beloved little girl when he swore to protect her. With that Okeanos was practically parentless, her mother assigning a guardian named Ouranos, as a punishment for his mischievous deeds, and to protect her child. Despite what Athena thought would happen, Okeanos and Ouranos grew closer with every year that passed, Ouranos being bound to the house as Okeanos was. He, completely immune to her dispar. It was undeniable that they shared a special connection, and soon it became unavoidable for the two. From playing pretend with her, to falling in love with the girl he lived with for 18 of his 28 years. He also used his godlike powers to care for the beautiful tree each month, that Okeanos would kill if she touched. He reminded her that there was always someone to care for her. As the two grew closer and closer, until came the day Athena finally spared the time to see her child. She descended from the heavens, to the large house surrounded by nothing but land, and the tree that isn’t so little any more, just like the beautiful girl that lived inside. Athena entered the house, and it only took her one glance to understand the terrible mistake she made. Without Okeanos and Ouranos knowing, she left with the knowledge of their love. Athena was furious with Ouranos for taking advantage of her child, and ran straight to Zeus, telling him of the terrible sins of Ouranos. She claimed he overpowered her beautiful fragile child, using her as his toy when she put her trust in him to care and protect for her daughter. With no more evidence needed, and without care for whether or not the love was true, Zeus would not allow Okeanos to have a relationship with a god nonetheless. Ouranos was indeed the only god that Okeanos was allowed to come in contact with, because Ouranos was Zeus’ son, and Zeus too wanted justice for his toying with the mortals. With a mighty hand Zeus drew Ouranos out of the large home, up to Olympus, banishing him from the house. Both lovers were distraught, Okeanos left all alone once more in her home. Unfortunately for Ouranos, Athena did not feel that the punishment bestowed upon him was severe enough, so she took him and through him above the Earth, making him the sky we know so well. She forced him to look upon her beautiful daughter, without being able to hold her in his arms, or make any contact with her. However what Athena did not realize was how much being away from Ouranos hurt her daughter, and trapped in her immense house, she cried, and cried, and cried, until her tears were so abundant they formed a puddle, that turned into a larger puddle, that turned into a monsterous ocean. Her waters tinted blue to show her sadness, for the loss of her love. Her tears became the salty waters of the beautiful but frightening ocean. She’s beautiful and mysterious on the outside, but vile and terrible on the inside. She swallowed over two thirds of Earth’s land, bringing sadness to those who lost their lives, families, and homes. And every month Okeanos was reminded of how much Ouranos loved her, because of how much he cared for her tree, and wanted her to have happiness in her life. For this every month, her waves would reach her highest, trying to reach Ouranos up in the sky, but she never even came close. To show his mourning for the loss of his love, Ouranos too tinted himself blue matching Okeanos, and his tears evaporating forming clouds. On his saddest days when he cried the most, he punished the mortals with terrible rainstorms of his anger and tears. It was an impossible love story, on that resulted in our sky and sea.