Life's a Piece of Pizza | Teen Ink

Life's a Piece of Pizza

January 26, 2017
By LullyLu BRONZE, Waverly, Minnesota
LullyLu BRONZE, Waverly, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Penny was tired. Another school day passed, and she had piles upon piles of homework. On top of that she still had instruments to practice, pets to take care of, sports to attend, a job, volunteer work at the local veterinary clinic, a booth at the farmer’s market. There wasn’t any time to go to the movies or meet up with friends. The music Penny held very dear seemed less enjoyable.  It wasn’t fun playing with her dog. She had so much to think about that her performance was terrible on the ball field. Her vegetable garden was lacking much needed attention.

Penny was drained. She didn’t even realize it, but others began to. Her parents were concerned, and yet Penny didn’t understand why. She became irritated with her mom’s constant worrying.

Today, Penny was sitting at the kitchen table. She was trying to complete three homework assignments and was becoming frustrated. Her dad was fixing a pizza in the oven as he watched her work. Penny was so absorbed in her assignments that she didn’t even know he was making her favorite meal until he set the piping-hot pie in front of her. She looked at the pizza, her stomach grumbling, but she knew she had to do her homework--there was no time for food.

Despite Penny’s attempt to return to her work, her dad made her put it away for a moment. He sat beside her, cut a slice of pizza, and handed her the plate. There were a few pieces of pepperoni and sausage on the pizza, but nothing more.

“Just take a bite,” Dad implored.

Penny looked anxious, but obliged. “The pepperoni and sausage is really good.” She said with a mouthful. 

Dad nodded. Then, he got up from the table and brought over some cut up meat and vegetables. Soon Penny’s piece of pizza was loaded with toppings.

“Take another bite,” Dad instructed once again.

Penny did so a second time, however, when trying to pick up her pizza, many of the toppings fell off and the slice sagged. She was able to bite into it, but she couldn’t taste the individual flavors any more--there was just too much.

Penny set the pizza back on the plate. She exhaled deeply, realizing what her dad was trying to teach her.

“Like this piece of pizza, Penny, you are overloaded with toppings. Your crust droops and pieces fall off. In order to savor certain parts, you have to give up others. You can save them for later and taste them better,” Dad carefully picked chunks of meat off Penny’s plate. He smiled earnestly. “A slice of pizza can only hold so much.”

Penny returned his grin. She let her shoulders relax. “I understand. Thanks, dad.” She knew that she couldn’t keep doing all of the things she does, but that didn’t mean she wouldn’t be able to do them another time. “I think I’m ready to have fun again.”


The author's comments:

This piece was written for a "Life Metaphor" assignment in my high school Creative Writing class.