All Over Again | Teen Ink

All Over Again

By PossiblyMaybeMe SILVER, Sacramento, California
PossiblyMaybeMe SILVER, Sacramento, California

Jonathan Sea was not a good person. And everyone knew this fact, even Jonathan himself. So, because of all the horrible things he did, Jonathan was banished from his home island. Of course, Jonathan didn’t mind. The only reason they kept him on the island so long was because he was a great sailor. They didn’t call him Mr. Sea for nothing. But, getting back on topic, Jonathan had done some horrible things and nobody, not even Jonathan himself, were surprised when the island representatives banished him from the island with nothing but a small boat and some food. However, this didn’t really bother him, as he had no more family, and never had any friends. So, without a goodbye, Jonathan disappeared from the island, becoming only a faint memory.

For a while, Jonathan sailed through the empty sea to an unknown destination. The water was calm and still, while the sky was practically blank, with only the sun dotted on the light blue sky. Jonathan soon grew bored of the tranquil adventure he was experiencing, but boredom didn’t bother him much. After so many years alone in his hometown, Jonathan was used to having nothing to do and no one to talk to. So Jonathan sat in his little boat, as calm as the sea and the sky, until a couple days later, when the sky was suddenly filled with clouds and the water pushing and pulling on his boat. Jonathan, the unlucky fellow, had sailed right into a storm. And although Jonathan tried to safely pass through the storm, he failed. The storm swept poor, little Jonathan’s boat away. As the waves pulled he and his boat far away from an unknown route, Jonathan held onto his boat and didn’t scream, as he knew no one would hear him and no one would care.

When the storm finally passed, Jonathan didn’t know where he was or what time it was, although he assumed it must had been later in the day, because it was starting to get dark out. He sighed. His boat had crashed and he was soaked. Jonathan looked down at his boat that was no longer a boat. It was just a pile of broken sticks with soggy bread peeking through the holes. After looking at his broken boat, he then decided to see what harm the sea had done to him. For the most part, Jonathan was okay, but soaked. His scraggly black hair and brown, leather coat would reek of seawater for days. Jonathan had no idea how he had stayed on his boat, but at the moment it didn’t matter. Luckily, he had crashed near an island. The island was shaped like a dome with a large, lit-up city on top. The city looked extremely prosperous and beautiful, its lights piercing through the dark sky like a golden arrow. The island had a tunnel inside of it, allowing boats to pass through. On each side of the arch was a large set of stairs to get to the city. Jonathan decided his best bet would be to go to the city, after all, with only a broken boat and some soggy bread, he wouldn’t be able to go anywhere else.

Jonathan walked up the pearl white stairs. With every step he felt...different. He felt burdened and by the time he reached the city he almost wanted to scream out his sins for the whole world to hear. But he didn’t. Instead, he took a deep breath. “You didn’t do it,” he said to himself under his breath. “You’re innocent.”

Jonathan walked through the glorious city, feeling worthless. He didn’t belong in this beautiful city. But he shook off the stress that was about to overcome him and kept walking. Then, he saw a girl. She had long, brown hair, with a crown of slightly droopy flowers sitting atop her perfectly shaped head. Her face had the innocent and perfect look of a child’s doll. She wore a dirty, torn dress and had dirt randomly smeared around her arms and legs.
“Mister!” She ran up to Jonathan, but immediately stopped as she grew closer. “Oh, uh, I was going to ask for spare change, but, uh, you don’t really look like you have money…”
“Uh,” Jonathan couldn’t talk. There was something about this girl that bugged him. She seemed familiar. Searching through old memories long forgotten, Jonathan accidently dug up old memories that he would have preferred to keep buried. He felt dizzy as he remembered the worst thing he had ever done. He remembered her eyes, glazed over and blank. He remembered her silence, as she accepted her fate. But most of all, he remembered her smile. Jonathan felt sick and almost threw up, forgetting all about the young girl standing right in front of him. He hunched over, trying to control his frantic breathing.
“Mister? Are you okay?” The girl placed her delicate hand on Jonathan’s forehead to see if he was ill. The girl winced as she felt his burning forehead. “Um, maybe you should stay with me for a while. C’mon! Let’s go!” The girl grabbed Jonathan’s hand and began to pull him to her little house. Jonathan didn’t understand what was happening. The girl didn’t even know his name, yet she was willing to trust him in her house. “Here it is!” The girl proudly announced. Her house was a small, wooden cabin. She obviously didn’t have much money. Jonathan hated her. She was so modest and there was something about her that…
he...
    couldn’t…
     quite…
      put his finger on…

Jonathan woke up a few hours later with the girl watching him.
“Y-you!” Jonathan was scared. He was so evil. He didn’t deserve her. She was like a beautiful princess, delicate and kind, while Jonathan was like a peasant, silent and greedy, keeping everything for himself. In any fairytale the pair would have been destined to get together and live happily ever after, but Jonathan knew this wasn’t a fairytale.
“Huh? Is something the matter?” She smiled with that perfect smile of hers.
“Why won’t you leave me alone?” Jonathan was shaking. He had a bad feeling about this girl.
“I-I’m just trying to help! B-but, you are free to go at any time!” The girl was obviously confused. Jonathan took some deep breaths and calmed down. He apologised to the girl and ended up staying with her. In fact, he stayed with her so long, they eventually got married. In the time in between the two young adults meeting and their marriage day, Jonathan still felt uneasy about being near the girl. And then it hit him. This girl, looked just like his deceased first wife. Also, the meeting was nearly the same, too. In fact, everything so far had been the same. Which meant-Jonathan gasped. He was going to kill this girl, just like he killed his first wife.
Jonathan screamed, tears streaming down his face. He didn’t want this to be true. He didn’t want the pain that came with hurting someone so close to you. He didn’t want to forget about her, like he forgot about his first wife.
“Aldri!” Jonathan screamed at the girl, whose name was Aldri.
“Jonathan, what is it?” Aldri answered, running over to her frantic husband.
“I’m leaving forever and I’m never coming back!” Jonathan grabbed his hat.
“Jonathan!” Aldri grabbed Jonathan’s arm. “No, no you can’t leave! Whatever I’m doing wrong, I’ll fix it, I promise!” Jonathan tried to pull away. He hated Aldri so, so much. She was so nice to him and all she got in return was death, but no matter what, she would always love him. Jonathan reached around in his coat pocket until he felt a small pocket knife. He wrapped his fingers around it and slowly pulled it out.
“Aldri, please,” Jonathan was whispering. Aldri didn’t let go. Jonathan slowly, very slowly, inserted the knife into her side. He couldn’t accept the fact that Aldri was so much better than him. She could have married any man she wanted, but instead, she chose a cowardly little shrimp. He knew that if he didn’t kill her then, he would have lived his whole life afraid of losing her to another man. This way, she would always be married to Jonathan. She weakly smiled as she went limp and as Jonathan watched her die, he hated her even more, because he knew if she could speak, she would forgive him.

Jonathan Sea was not a good person. And everyone knew this fact, even Jonathan himself. So, because of all the horrible things he did, Jonathan was banished from his home island. Of course, Jonathan didn’t mind. The only reason they kept him on the island so long was because he was a great sailor. They didn’t call him Mr. Jonathan Sea for nothing. But, getting back on topic, Jonathan had done some horrible things and even he wasn’t surprised when the island representatives banished him from the island with nothing but a small boat and some food. However, this didn’t really bother him, as he had no more family, and never had any friends. So, without a goodbye, Jonathan disappeared from the island, becoming only a faint memory.

When the storm finally passed, Jonathan didn’t know where he was or what time it was, although he assumed it must had been later in the day, because it was starting to get dark out. He sighed. His boat had crashed and he was soaked. Jonathan looked down at his boat that was no longer a boat. It was just a pile of broken sticks with soggy bread peeking through the holes. After looking at his broken boat, he then decided to see what harm the sea had done to him. For the most part, Jonathan was okay, but soaked. His scraggly black hair and brown, leather coat would reek of seawater for days. Jonathan had no idea how he had stayed on his boat, but at the moment it didn’t matter. Luckily, he had crashed near an island. And that’s when it hit him. His jealous actions had led him to be trapped in a never ending cycle of hating Aldri, loving Aldri, and then killing Aldri. Jonathan sighed, preparing himself to start the painful cycle all over again, as he climbed up the pearl white stairs that reminded him of his sins.

This is just a simple re-write of something I worte back in middle school. I liked the plot, but the overall story was pretty bad, so I decided to revise it. Enjoy!