Words | Teen Ink

Words

June 20, 2016
By AnastasiaR BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
AnastasiaR BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Words. They are a powerful tool, used for building walls or tearing them down. It wields the power to reveal the smile thats been waiting to appear, or it can cause a river of uncertainty to come from those tainted eyes. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words have an unsaid power.

Im that voice in the back of your head. Im the one telling you to break free, to let go or to fall because your already going to fail, so whats the point? But let me tell you a secret about why I say what I say, why I'm the one whose bringing you down or lifting you up. So here it is; its you. Its you who's heard these words so many times, that they've written up this dictionary of terms that define who you are and what you can do. It's all you. You let people pull the trigger and let the bullets fly from their gun. You let those bullets impale you where it hurts. You control me.

Everyone feels this way, everyone needs to take this mind dictionary and throw it out. Because thats not who you are. Thats not all you can be. You define yourself. And next time those bullets fly, just brush them away, like they were some pesky little fly. If they hit you, don't add that word, that will stay impending in your mind. Words may have an unspeakable power, but they are just letters, blocks even, that are just put together to express an internal understanding, so it is up to you to find that deeper meaning, or to let its power take a hold of your flexible mind. Its your choice, so next time tell me to tell you that 'god people are so illiterate' because sticks and stones may break my bones, but words are something only you can control.