Shipwrecked | Teen Ink

Shipwrecked

May 6, 2016
By IlovePATD BRONZE, Orient , Ohio
IlovePATD BRONZE, Orient , Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was."
-Brendon Urie


I wake up dazed and alone floating safely in a lifeboat. I have no clue how I got here, and I tried to recall what had happened, but I find that memory is long gone. I look around to check my surroundings and all I see is water. I check what I have in my boat and find a backpack full of supplies. My backpack contains a flare gun, canned food, matches, a survival knife, and a canteen full of drinking water. All I can think is, “I have to make these supplies last as long as possible.”
I wake up on the seventh day after the accident that I still can't remember. Then out of the corner of my eye I see a island, and I gain new hope. The island is about 150 yards out and I think I can make it there with plenty of daylight to spare. About 15 minutes later sun fully comes up so I grab a piece of driftwood and start paddling towards what could be my only chance of survival. I end up making it to the island just after the sun had fully come up. As I explore the island I find that it's not much of an island at all. It consists of a few palm trees for shade and maybe a source of water. Either way I was feeling pretty let down and discouraged by the amount of survival supplies I found on the island.
It's been about a week and a half since I'd found this island and I've discovered a few things. One of the things I've discovered is that the island has a source drinkable water, or fresh water. This source of fresh water comes from a small freshwater stream just inside the treeline. Another thing I’ve discovered is that the island palmtrees produce coconuts. Finding these coconuts is helpful because now I have a source of food and something to drink all in one. If I go about this correctly I can use my survival knife to open the coconuts, drink the milk and eat the insides of the coconuts. FInding them has a double advantage. The water that surrounds the island is highly populated with fish, which is another food source that will be helpful to my survival. I could use my knife to make a spear and catch fish to cook over a fire. All I have to do is figure out a way to make all these things work to my advantage.
It’s been about a week and a half since I’ve found the advantages of the island. I’ve been successful in making most of the things work for me. I was able to get the coconuts down from the trees and get them open. I was able to get the get a fire started with brush, some branches from surrounding trees and some matches that were in my survival pack. The easiest thing for me to achieve was gathering the water from the nearby stream. The thing that I was struggling with was catching the fish with just a wooden spear. All I can think is how much I wish I had a net or fishing pole, but then I wouldn’t really be in that bad of a situation, I couldn’t catch a break that would of been too easy.
As I’m trying to come up with a new plan to catch fish I realize that I still have a bite of canned fruit left, so I decide to sit down and eat what’s left of them. As I’m eating the fruit I come up with a new plan to catch fish; take my survival pack and try to catch the fish in that. I go to get my survival pack from beside the little stream that’s my water source. I left it there because I was gathering drinking water earlier. I start heading back to get my bag and all I can think is, “Please let this work, I have no food, hope or fight left on me.”
I get to where my bag is and while I’m there I get a drink of water, I think I hear a strange noise but I don’t think anything of it. As I’m getting up from getting a drink the noise is louder and it sounds slightly familiar. Then I realize that it could be a plane and my only way out of this nightmare. I grab the bag and start sprinting back to the beach where camp is set up. As I reach the clearing where I can see the beach I see a plane in the distance heading in the opposite direction. I had just missed my only chance to escape this dreadful place. By this point I have absolutely no hope or fight left in me, all I want to do is go home to my family. I guess now I have plenty of time to figure out the whole fishing thing while I wait for my next chance to escape the nightmare.