A LESSON LEARNED | Teen Ink

A LESSON LEARNED

By GSree SILVER, Hyderabad, Washington
GSree SILVER, Hyderabad, Washington

Live Life Queen Size

“Nani(Grandmother) something happened to Nanaji (Grandfather),please go and see him”, cried Nisha ,running down the stairs.

Nisha’s grandmother rushed to the Terrence to find her husband (Nisha’s Grandfather) clutching his nose which seemed to be drenched in blood. Now even Nisha’s grandmother got tensed and everything needed an explanation...

3 HOURS EARLIER....
Nisha was a wonderful girl with a kind heart. Even though she was a shy person she never backed out when someone needed her help.  She always thought that she got this from her mother who was a teacher and her Dad who was a Government officer.  Both of them were very busy because of their work but Nisha knew that they loved her a lot even though they couldn’t spend much time with her. They stayed together with their Grandparents. Nisha was more attached to her Grandparents as she spent more time with them.

Nisha was a happy girl that day. It was Saturday and she came home earlier than usual from school. She was even more pleased to hear that her Grandfather was planning to do some painting to the walls of the nursery in their terrace. She begged her Grandfather for the last two weeks for this and at last they were doing it. She wanted to paint the walls green and yellow to which her Grand Father readily agreed.
“Nanaji ,  you did not tell Nani about our plan right ? We are doing it to give her a surprise Remember?” asked Nisha.
“Of course I wouldn’t tell her even I want to see the surprised look on her face when she sees the painted walls”, told Nanaji.
“But what did you tell her then? She seemed to ask a hundred questions before I came to the terrace without allowing her to do so”,told nisha
“I told her that I would be teaching you how to set the wind chimes that got tangled last night due to the bad weather”, told Nanaji.
“Oh great .Nice work Nanaji”, told Nisha.
  Now everything was set and they begun the painting work. Nanaji decided that Nisha would paint on the lower parts of the walls and Nanaji the upper parts. Despite Nisha’s protest that she would paint the upper part which needed climbing a ladder, Nanaji did not agree telling that it was not easy to paint the walls standing on a ladder. Nisha had to agree to it.

They started their work and slowly the walls begin to get painted in green and yellow. Everything seemed fine until Nanaji climbed the 3rd step of the ladder and suddenly slipped and fell on the ground. To stop himself from falling he tried to control his weight on his toes which couldn’t stop his weight and resulted in tripping himself and bending his toes in a certain angle that caused the toes to be sprained. He fell straight on his face and his nose started to bleed because of the impact.
When Nisha saw that her Nanaji’s nose was bleeding she got so tensed that she started crying. She immediately ran down the terrace to call her Nani.
***************************
“Nisha go out immediately and call any auto(taxi)”,ordered Nani. Nisha was so tensed seeing her Nanaji in pain that her mind went blank. Nanaji was in deep pain which was evident from the expression on his face. Nisha obeyed her Nani and immediately went out to bring an auto to take Nanaji to hospital. She was in such a hurry that she even forgot to put on her shoes and ran out to the nearest auto stand.

“Bhaiyya(Brother) can you please come to my house, my Nanaji is hurt “,asked Nisha to an auto driver.No one seemed to bother her as she was little and all the auto drivers were busy attending other customers. Now Nisha became so angry that she yelled at the auto drivers ,”BHAIYYA I ASKED IF YOU COULD COME TO MY HOME TO TAKE MY GRANDFATHER TO HOSPITAL?, Please attend the other customers later a person needs your help “.

Everyone there were astonished seeing her yell like that and they immediately responded and an auto driver came to her and asked her address and took her to her home in the auto. They reached the house and Nisha immediately ran inside and asked the driver to help her Nanaji to get into the auto. The auto driver obeyed her and then slowly with the help of Nani and Nisha they helped Nanaji into the auto.

The hospital was only 2 streets away so it was a short ride and they were in front of the hospital. Nisha immediately ran inside and informed in the reception about the condition of her Nanaji .They responded immediately and took her Nanaji into the treatment room.
Nani was so scared that she was not speaking at all. Nisha slowly helped her grandmother to come back to normal state. She told her that she will go home in the auto and pay the auto driver and again come back after informing her parents. Nani slowly nodded her head.

Nisha went home and when she was about to pay the auto driver his fair he flatly refused to take it as he felt that he mustn’t charge any fare to someone who is in need. He also praised Nisha about the way in which she bravely handled the situation. Nisha thanked him and later informed her parents. Her parents were so worried to hear about the accident that they came to the hospital in less than 30 minutes. Now that everything was handled by her parents Nisha fell asleep beside her mother.

NEXT DAY.....
“Nisha go and get ready, we need to visit Nanaji in the hospital”,called Nisha’s Mom.
“Yes Mom”,said Nisha.
It was found that Nanaji had a sprain in this toes and her had a hairline fracture on his nose.The Doctors Praised Nisha the way she handled the situation and got her Nanaji to the hospital in time. They said that Nanaji would have suffered even more blood loss if he was not brought in time to the hospital. They also told Nisha that she did a good job but It would still be great if she had called 108(Emergency service number) immediately. Even though they may not reach their place and take Nanaji to the hospital as early as Nisha took but they would have guided her to do a first aid treatment.

Nisha realised the importance of being aware of all the Emergency Service numbers that day and decided to inform all her friends about the different emergency services. She made pamphlets which had all the emergency service numbers provided by the government and distributed among her friends. She also asked her class teacher to allow her to speak to everyone for a few minutes about the accident of her grandfather and the importance of knowing about the emergency services .The teacher readily agreed to this and also asked Nisha to speak about this  even in the school assembly.

........
If  a 9year old could try to tell everyone about the importance of the emergency services then why not us?.Even though the Government does a wide spread public awareness programs about the emergency services but  all of us are not completely aware. So let’s try to inform everyone about the emergency service numbers so that no lives are lost on the way to the Hospital and Damage can be controlled.

This story is based on a real life incident.

Its our responsibilitiy to help anyone in need.All would like to tell is its our duty to be aware of the emergency service numbers so that we can be of great help to our fellow humans in need.