Family | Teen Ink

Family

April 22, 2016
By Adilahz GOLD, Selangor, Other
Adilahz GOLD, Selangor, Other
16 articles 1 photo 0 comments

    There was once a poor family who had only one child named Taren. They were very very poor. They couldn't afford a single thing. They don't have any money and they haven't even seen money before. One day,Taren's father, Bob had to join the millitary forces. Although he did not have any money,but he would sacrifice himself for the country and most of all,his family. There were rumours all over saying Bob didn't survive the war,but Taren had strong built up confidence. She knew his father would come home with success.

                             The next marvellous morning,Taren was helping her mother collect money by sitting at the pavement and singing. Taren had a very lovely voice and she is very ambitious to join a singing programme. When they went home,Taren and her mother recieved a dollar. They were very grateful as they had never recieved money that much before. They went to a nearby stall and all they could afford is a few crisps and a few candy. When they were enjoying,there was a knock on the door. Taren got up on her feet and opened the door. She saw a man wearing a millitary suit holding a brown envelope. Taren grabbed the envelope. She knew what happened to her father. Tears started pouring from her blue eyes, the man by the door took off his cap and shook his head. "Thank you" Taren sobbed as she slowly closed the door.

                         Taren told her mother about the recent news. Her mother knew from the start. Taren couldn't bare to read the contents  in the envelope,so she switched on the stove and burnt it. She cried and didn't eat for 2 whole days. Taren went out looking for a job to replace her father's bussiness before he left for war. She didn't have any luck because all the shops were occupied. When her legs were almost shattered into million pieces,there was a job hiring at a small stall selling fruits. With aching feet,Taren ran to the stall and begged the grocer to give her the job. The grocer thinks that Taren was too young to sell,but when he looked at the condition of Taren,he felt pity and lended Taren the job. Taren was so happy. Everyday she would walk to the stall and sell the fruits with her mother.
 
                        On the fifth month of their business,they received around 60 dollars and was able to buy heavier food for full stomachs. When they were walking,they can't see their stall. It was now a construction site, building a huge soap factory. When they looked at the back of the construction site,they were heartbroken. Their wooden stall was broken to pieces. Their watermelons were smashed,apples were bitten,mangoes were stepped on and there were footprints on their squashed bananas. Taren cried and Taren's mother decided to take action. They went to the manager of the factory and debated with him for destroying their one and only chance to have money. The manager felt sorry so he built up a bigger fruit stall with a huge name that says "Taren and Mom's" . The manager bought fresher fruits to be sold at the stall. Weeks past as people were flooding and surrounding the fruit stall. By the end of the month,they recieved a hundred dollars. They kept the money.

                           One day,Taren fell ill. She could not move because her body was to weak to move a muscle. Taren's mother went to a nearby pharmacy by foot. She promised Taren that she would return and heal Taren and they could continue their bussiness again. When Taren's mother left,Taren thought about how people would wait so long for the seller to come and accept the moneys and hand out juicy fruits. Time flies until evening when Taren's mother still hasn't return from the pharmacy. Taren was worried. For her mother,she tried to get up and walk to the door. She slided her pale feet into her shoes and rushed off to the pharmacy by foot. When she reached the pharmacy,there was an ambulance van and two police cars. People were gathering as they were about to buy Taren's fruits. Taren squished through the crowd.

                      When Taren reached the front,there were police officers blocking the crowd. A lady was hit by a huge truck and her body is still under the truck,just the hand sticking out from under the truck. Taren couldn't see because there were too many people trying to look. The truck drivers were arrested because they drank around 5 bottles of alcohol before driving. Taren saw that the body's sleeve was the similar one as what her mother was wearing to the pharmacy. Her ring was spectacularly same as the one that Bob gave to Taren's mom during her wedding.Taren escaped the police and took a closer look. Yes,there was the name Lily+Bob at the back of the ring. Taren couldn't believe what she saw. She is so sad. Taren didn't have anymore family now as the lady under the truck was Taren's mother.

                       Taren continued the bussiness alone and she put her mother's photo by her side at all times. She continued the successful bussiness for 6 whole years non-stop. She now joined the most popular singing programme.She sang with all her heart until she cried,remembering about her mother. She won first place and won a million dollars. She made a huge house. She never forget her mother that had sacrificed everything for Taren. Because of Taren's mother,she now is a successful singer. She's just sad she couldn't live happily with her family.

 

            "OHANA means family. FAMILY means nobody gets left behind"
                                                                                                    -Stitch?


*Nur Adlina Sufia Ruzaimi - 1T*