I Was Ready | Teen Ink

I Was Ready

By joshj317 SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
joshj317 SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Sunday. Game day. The day that would decide how it all ends. The day that would decide the winner of the Super Bowl for the year 2017. The Indianapolis Colts against the Carolina Panthers. The day where I would subdue all the people who doubted me after my 2015 season injury.  Super Bowl Sunday.
Waking up on Super Bowl Sunday morning was like waking up on Christmas, with all of the excitement and attention looming right around the corner. It was the most important day of my life, as I had the opportunity to win my team, the Indianapolis Colts, Super Bowl championship. It was the day I was going to prove that I could follow in the footsteps of one of the greatest to ever play the game, Peyton Manning. Winning a championship would be the best thing that ever happened to me.
Early in the afternoon, I drove to NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas, which was the home of Super Bowl LI. I could see rows of cars and fans trying to get into the stadium. I marched into the stadium proudly with crowds of people and cameras surrounding me. I walked onto the field, taking in my surroundings. The day had finally come and I was ready. I had been preparing for this moment for my entire life. I peered across the field, to where the Carolina Panthers would come out of in a few short hours. I noticed a man standing there, and realized that it was the opposing team’s quarterback, Cam Newton. I looked at him and he looked at me. We simultaneously turned around and walked back to where we had come from. I could tell that he was ready to win a Super Bowl. So was I.

On the field, it was much different from the nervous atmosphere of the locker room. Tens of thousands of people filled the stands, with a mix of blue and white, and black and blue. I looked onto the field, where both teams were lined up for the opening kickoff. My team was receiving the ball first. I would have the opportunity to put my team on top before they even had a chance to touch the ball. It was starting, and I was ready.
A few long, sweaty, and emotional hours later, I found myself in an unwanted situation. My team was not playing well at all; in fact, we were down by ten points with three minutes left in the game. I knew that the game was far from over, but I also knew that it wouldn’t be easy to win the game. I couldn’t help but think about what Peyton Manning had done just one year earlier. Win a Super Bowl championship with the Denver Broncos. I knew that I had the capability of winning the Super Bowl for myself, especially with the help of my teammates. I was ready to win the game.
The locker room after the game was interesting to say the least. There were tears on nearly every player’s face, including mine. Players sat around the locker room with faces full of relief. It was all over. I looked down to see a glimmering super bowl trophy in my right hand and a shiny silver football in the other, the Super Bowl MVP trophy. We had won the game by four points after a last minute touchdown pass to my favorite receiver, T.Y. Hilton. I had finished the game with four touchdown passes, three more than Peyton Manning had thrown in the 2007 Super Bowl win. I had lived up to my high expectations and won my team a championship.
The following few days were some of the best days of my life. The super bowl parade, the celebrations, the festivities, the glory. I took all of it in and savored it. It was truly the best week of my life, and I will never forget it. I, Andrew Luck, was an NFL champion.
The past few years after the super bowl leading up to today, February 2, 2020 have been very difficult. After my moment of glory in 2017, it all went downhill from there. My team had only won eleven games combined in 2018 and 2019, as we have had many injuries to our best players. Even I hurt my right leg after being sacked in 2018. While the times were tough, we were able to get through it and get back to where we belonged. I made it back to the place that made me a hero. The Super Bowl.