A Song of Remembrance | Teen Ink

A Song of Remembrance

By Katten7 GOLD, North Richland Hills, Texas
Katten7 GOLD, North Richland Hills, Texas
12 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"If you live like a child to the world, you live in the world of a child" ~Me! ya ya whatever.

A simple melody drifts through a room. The young woman at the piano smiles as she begins to compose by playing the first melody she created. She pauses on a note, then continues to tap it rhythmically as she hums accompanying tones. Her left hand strikes a chord, as she sticks her tongue out, glancing over the disappointingly plastic keys. With a sigh, her hands lift from the piano... quickly replaced by a now-aching forehead. Striking not a dissonant chord, but a single note. A faint tune playing in the back of her mind as the self-proclaimed composer grins, ten tedious years of lessons residing in her core, despite how often their use was denied. With a resigned and nostalgic smile, her hands take their rightful place...

To tap out a song of remembrance, the first simple melody, that a younger, more innocent, self-proclaimed past musician performed. 

This piece is a literary enhancement of a real life event. I often have trouble starting off the pieces I compose, so I go back or start off with my first success. Like in this story, it's not a foolproof plan. Halfway through giving up, I recalled my true first success: the first recital piece a five-year-old self played. I closed my eyes, and could still play. To this day, after ten long years of music theory, it's the only piece I can remember.