Nerves | Teen Ink

Nerves

By poemoheart866 PLATINUM, Goose Creek, South Carolina
poemoheart866 PLATINUM, Goose Creek, South Carolina

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."
-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter.

I sit in my seat, staring out the window at the trucks passing by while listening to the sounds of honking horns and police sirens in the distance. The window has light scratches from the children running around, playing with their dolls and matchbox cars. Across the front yard are cut up trees, along with a metal tree that has colourful glass bottles hanging on the branches. My eyes wander over the budding yellow flowers that people often mistake for weeds--cruelly ripping the stems out of the earth.
I watch as the dog is released into the yard, not completely free--having a chain connected to it’s collar. About five feet long, the chain constrains the dog from jumping over the white picket fence. He sniffs around the area, and then makes his mark next to a pile of ants, careful not to disturb the insect’s shelter. Once finished, he goes back to sniffing around. He eventually gives up and lies down on the bed of grass.
My breath hits the window and causes it to fog up. I close my eyes and press my forehead against the cool glass. The coolness of the surface hits my skin and I sigh in content. While my eyes are closed, I see a deep shade of red, and light tries to get past the lids that shield my irises. My eyelashes rest on my cheeks and my lips brush against the window as I begin whispering lyrics to a Goo Goo Dolls  song.
“And I’d give up forever to touch you
‘Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You’re the closest to heaven that I’ll ever be
And I don’t wanna go home right now
And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
When sooner or later it’s over
I just don’t wanna miss you tonight
And I don’t want the world to see me
‘Cause I don’t think that they’d understand
When everything’s made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am.”
I let out a sigh after I finished the song and opened my eyes. People gathered around me, and I nervously tapped my knee. They were staring at me with something in their eyes- awe, or some sort of deep admiration. The heat filled my cheeks and I headed out of the room with my face to the floor. 

It took me months to write this short little story. I hope it's well written and a nice story. Feedback is appreciated- thanks! :)