A New Start | Teen Ink

A New Start

By AithlynFreye BRONZE, Oxford, Alabama
AithlynFreye BRONZE, Oxford, Alabama

"I wonder sometimes if the motivation for writers ought to be contempt, not admiration." -Orson Scott Card

~Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. -Maria Robinson~

I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off. It was here, finally. My first day of school at a new place; my new start. It was really different, being in Chicago, Illinois instead of London, England. I quickly took a shower and ran to my room to get dressed. I threw on my AC/DC t-shirt, some black jeans, my vans, and my leather jacket. I ran downstairs to eat some breakfast. My parents weren’t there, of course. Always leaving early in the morning for their flight to London for their job. I grabbed an apple, my bag, and my keys and ran to my car. I hopped in and drove off to school.

It only took me ten minutes to get to school; I lived pretty close to the school surprisingly. I didn’t know any of my classes so I went to the front office to get my schedule. Once in there, the lady looked up at me.

“Hello. I’m Alissa Coulton. I’m new.” I said quietly

“Oh hello there. Let me get your schedule and locker number.” She said typing something on her desktop. About five minutes later she had my schedule and locker number. “Here you go. Have a great day!”

“Thank you.” I replied walking towards my locker.

It was a surprisingly big school. I didn’t expect the school to be confusing but it was. I got lost on my way to my first class. I was going to be so late because of it. Finally, I found my first class; ten minutes late. I walked in and the teacher automatically looked at me. I quickly closed the door and went to the first open seat I saw.

“Class. This is our new student. Come introduce yourself.” She said nicely

“I’m Alissa Coulton. I just moved here from London, England.” I said. My first class was French so I had it good. I already spoke fluent French.

“Welcome to Mills High. You may take your seat now. Bonjour classe. Today we will be learning how to say Hello my name is, in French. Alissa, do you know any French?” she asked me

“Bonjour! Mon nom est Alissa Coulton.” I spoke in French

“Ah très bien.” She said automatically

“Je me trouve à parier couramment le Français.”  I replied automatically

“Très bien.” She replied. “Alright lets get started.”

French went by really fast considering that I speak it fluently. My next class was Calculus and I had no idea where it was. I wish someone would speak up and help me out. Of course, in America that’s not how everybody was. I miss London but I cannot go back because of what I did. I didn’t mean to do that though, it wasn’t my fault. I wish I could’ve stopped it but I couldn’t. Anyway, it took me ten minutes again to find my class and I was late. Again.

“You must be Alissa Coulton. You’re late.” Mr. Morgan said irritably

“I’m sorry. I couldn’t find this class.” I apologized quickly

“Why isn’t anyone showing you around the school?” he asked immediately

“I don’t know, sir.” I replied

“Well I’ll assign someone to help you out. Mr. Jeffery Connors you’re now helping out Miss. Alissa Coulton.” He said strictly

“Yes sir.” Jeffery replied. I could tell that voice from anywhere. He was from London. An exchange student who knew everything, I’m doomed.

I walked quickly to the seat beside Jeffery. He looked at me and smiled. Obviously he remembered me and hopefully he didn’t remember what happened last year. I guess it’s time to tell you what happened. Last school year I was doing what I always do, follow the rules and I found out that there was a fight going on in the school. I ran out into the hallway to try to stop it but someone pushed me up against the locker. The person was Jeffery’s best friend. His name was Josh, he was a huge bully and I’m guessing that the fight was because of Josh bullying people like usual. I felt him knee me in the stomach and then he punched me in the face. He kept on doing it until I was on the ground. Once I was on the ground, he started kicking me in the lungs over and over. It was the worse pain I’ve ever felt in my life. He then got bored and kicked me in the face a couple of times. Once he was fully bored, he stopped and left me there.

That wasn’t the last time he did it either. He chose to start doing that everyday to me. I was his new punching bag. I really regret leaving the classroom that day to help the kid getting bullying and in a fight. If I would’ve never left, I would still be at home in London, not here being showed around by Jeffery. I hate him and his stupid best friend, Josh. I never knew what happened to Josh after last year but I hoped he died. I never wish that on someone but he deserves it. He made my life a living h--- for most of a school year. I’m just not ready to have that happen again. Stupid exchange students.

I guess I was so deep in my thoughts that I didn’t hear the bell ring. The next thing I knew, everybody in the class was packing up their things and leave. I did the same and followed Jeffery. He seemed different. I know I shouldn’t hate Jeffery for what Josh did but they’re best friends. He could’ve stopped it but he didn’t. He chose to watch Josh beat on me everyday. So I hate Jeffery and Josh with all my being. I hoped he wouldn’t talk to me but that hope was ruined quick.

“What’s your next class, Alissa?”  he asked as soon as we were out of the classroom

“Uh, Science with Ms. Williams.” I replied looking at my schedule

“Sweet. I have that class too. Follow me.” He said sweetly giving me a flirty smile. “Look I’m sorry for what Josh did. He’s a jerk. I told him so many times to stop but he wouldn’t. Please let me start over with you. I’m literally begging you, Alissa. You seem so sweet and nice and I want to get to know you. I can protect you from Josh. He’s an even bigger jerk this year so you’ll need it once he finds out you moved here.”

“Fine. I guess I can give you another change. Hi, I’m Alissa Coulton. It’s nice to meet you.” I started

“Hello. I’m Jeffery Connors. It’s nice to meet you too.” He said smiling. I think I’m going to like this year after all.

I decided to write this piece to show that it's always possible to have a new start. This isn't just stereotypical, I thought I would give a new look on things. I really hope you like it. I honestly think it's my best work. Thank you so much for reading it!

kingofwriters BRONZE, DeWitt, Michigan

"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King

I love books, and I love technology, but I don't want to see the latter overwhelm the former. I just think books are meant to be pages you turn, not screens you scroll through.

My feedback for this story is on the thread!