A Delayed Fate | Teen Ink

A Delayed Fate

March 6, 2015
By Vooglet BRONZE, Huntington Beach, California
Vooglet BRONZE, Huntington Beach, California
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. -Vince Lombardi


It seemed to Scott that there was nothing left for him to do in life. He had been homeless at one point, and he had been rich at one point, but none of this mattered to him. He stood on top of a building of which he did not know the name of, as puzzled as a dead man. To Scott it seemed that he had worked his life for one goal, and that goal had been achieved. What was there to live for, he asked himself again and again. He sat for a considerable amount of time probing his mind for the answer but after some time he thought that the only thing he wanted at this time in life was to end it all, to jump off of this nameless building and turn the next page of the book of life.
Scott took a step forward.
Wind wrapped around him as he flew through the air. Scott was calm. This is peace, he thought to himself. This feeling embraced him, for a good minute or so, before he realized that he wasn’t dead.
Scott opened his eyes and as a newborn does he cried, for he didn’t feel the same. Was he in heaven? Was he in hell? Or was he somewhere in between?
The latter appeared to be the only answer to him. He took a good look around him. His surroundings had barely changed. He looked up to see a building, the building he had just stepped off of. He was on the same planet. He was still alive.
How? This question plagued him like a sickness. How do you survive a fall of that degree? You don’t.
He turned around to look behind him and saw a flurry of feathers skitter by. He let out a blood curdling scream. People looked to see where the scream came from and once they saw, they screamed too. Scott realized that his feet were not touching the ground, they were just a bit above it.
Scott turned his head towards the ground to look at his shadow, he did not see himself, he did not see a human. He saw something in between that of a bird and a person.
He thought to himself, take a step, please prove to me that you are still human, but he did not take a step, his wings flapped pushing against the air like a machine propelling him forward. Again he screamed.
Panic overtook him, he could not think straight. What am I? Is this my own personal hell? A nightmare? None of these were true though, for he knew deep down that he was different now, he was a new being.
As panicked as he was, he needed confirmation. He reached into his pant pocket to find his phone, he needed to see himself. His fingers glided over the screen as if it were water, searching for himself, in a machine. What he saw was what he was expected. He was a bird.
Scott needed to get away from the public’s view. If he let himself be seen too much he would be plastered all over the media. This was exactly what he didn’t want. And with that in mind, he flew up into the sky.
Up he went. His new and improved body cut through the air with ease. He was going fast. Scott found himself above the clouds in mere seconds. He felt like  he belonged up there. No one could touch him, nobody could see him, he was free to live life however he pleased. It was invigorating. He felt as strong as the Earth’s first kings. These wings he had, they would bring him all he ever wanted in life.
Scott lay down on the clouds, hovering above them. They looked as soft and puffy as a sheep’s coat. They seemed to draw him in. Their moist bodies dampened his clothes and his wings, but this didn’t bother him. The clouds were more comfortable than the finest bed and he was as calm as a child in slumber. He fell asleep like this, for a short while.
The same feeling that he had felt as he fell from the building earlier engrossed Scott as he fell, but this time it was more panicked. A scream escaped Scotts mouth as he fell but it was scooped up by the passing air. His wings attempted to break the current and slow his fall, but when it mattered most, they failed.
The serenity and peace that had brought him happiness before was hurriedly running out of his body, back to its home. What more could Scott do? He had made mistakes before, he had tried to end it, and fate had stopped it. Fate had pushed against Scott, trying to save him. But in the end, people get what they deserve, and Scott did not deserve fate’s mercy.


The author's comments:

very deep