Never The Same | Teen Ink

Never The Same

By Yanna GOLD, Warsaw, Indiana
Yanna GOLD, Warsaw, Indiana

"Don't let anyone use your pen to write your story. It's your life."

Love, Such a simple word. L-O-V-E. I never knew a four letter word could hold so much meaning. I say anyone can find love. It’s everywhere. The only problem is, I don’t think I could find. At least not again.
It’s only been three years since the accident. Though it seems as if it happened yesterday. That is a day, I can never forget.  No matter how hard I try.

*   *   *   *
“Max,” said Victoria,” you need to get ready.”
“But we don’t have to leave until 6:00p.m. It’s only noon. Why so early?”
“I know, but I just want to make sure we are ready to go by then. You know I don’t like to be late. So can you please go change?” She had an innocent smile on her face. Her gorgeous blue eyes sparkled as they stared into mine. A little strand of her long curly brown hair covered over her left eye. She was so beautiful.
“Okay. I’ll go change.” I knew how much it meant to her if I changed. I respected everything she said because, I loved her. She meant everything to me; no one could take it away.
I got up from my chair I was sitting and put the newspaper I was reading on the coffee table next to me. I walked up the grand staircase and opened my bedroom door. As I walked in, I saw my spiffy looking gray suit that was made of silk laying on my bed. My dark blue bowtie was right beside it, which had some shimmer to it. I walked into my bathroom to take a shower before I changed into my suit. My shower took ten minutes, which isn’t very long. I stepped out and grabbed a towel form the rack on the wall and dried off. I opened the bathroom door and walked over to  grab my suit then changed into it. As I walked back into the bathroom, I looked in the mirror. I saw two green eyes that stared back at me. My blonde hair was a mess, so I opened one of the drawers in the sink and grabbed my hair gel. I decided to slick my hair back in a sophisticated looking way, like some celebrities do when their getting all fancied up.
I walked back downstairs as my wife went upstairs. “Very handsome”, she tells me as she gave me a kiss on the cheek. She continued to walk upstairs as I headed for the kitchen. I walked into the kitchen and went to the fridge. It was lunchtime, so I was hungry. I grabbed some lettuce and tomatoes, as well as mayonnaise. I put what I had on the counter and walked over to a cabinet and got some bread. I walked back over to the counter and slice some tomatoes and lettuce. When I got done making my sandwich. I went to get a plate and set it right next to my sandwich. As I walked back to the fridge, I put the mayonnaise and other items I had back. Then I saw a pie, it was cherry and blueberry, Victorias favorite. She loves to make them. So I decided to cut myself a slice. “Would you mind cutting me one too?” I quickly looked up to see her standing in the doorway. She had a smile on her face and looked at me gracefully.
“Of course, my dear” I said as I cut her a slice. I walked over and grabbed her a plate and both of us forks. I put my sandwich on my plate and walked over to our dining room table. I put both of our plates down on the table, but before I sat down, I pulled the chair out for Victoria and she sat down with a nod as a thank you gesture.
“This pie is very delicious” I said trying to start some small talk.
“Thank you. I try my best to make the best” Her eyes, they were just… They were something. I could stare into them all day, I didn’t know what it was, but her eyes were just magical. It was something about them I couldn’t quite put my finger on. Everything about her was amazing. I loved her with all her little details.
“Hun? What are you doing?” I realized that she had a confused look on her face.
“Sorry, I was just admiring you and how much I love you”
“Awe, well, I love you too“.  Her cheeks went a little pink. Then it went away. I did a little laugh at it; I thought it was cute whenever she blushed.
“What time is it dear?” I wasn’t quite sure, but I knew it had been awhile since I last looked.
“It’s 5:00p.m.”
“Well are you almost ready to go? We need to leave so to be at the airport on time.”
“Yea, I just need to put my dress on and my hair” She said as she got up from her chair. She walked out of the kitchen and headed up to the bedroom. I put our dishes into the sink and rinsed them off. I casually made my way to the closet near the door. I grabbed my nice shiny, dark blue shoes and my coat. By the time I had put my shoes and coat on, Victoria still wasn’t downstairs.
“Are you ready?!” I slightly hollered up the stairs, But there was no response. “Victoria?” I started to wonder, but then I thought that maybe she couldn’t hear me. I headed up the stairs and knocked on the bedroom door. “Victoria?” I calmly said. “Are you ready?” There was still no response. I slowly opened the door and saw that her dress was laid out on the bed and she was nowhere around. The bathroom door was closed so I slowly walked over and knocked on the door. “Hello?” I opened the door cautiously and peeked in.
“VICTORIA!!” I screamed. I panicked and ran all over the house searching every inch looking for her. I looked upstairs, downstairs, and outside. I was then tired and walked into the kitchen for a drink.  When I opened the fridge I grabbed the container of orange juice and put it on the counter. As I did, I notice and little envelope. I took it carefully and looked at it. The letters T-G were on the outside of the envelope. I began to open it slowly and took out the neatly folded paper. I opened and began to read it. After I read the note, I ran for my keys on the rack and ran for the garage. I hopped in my purple Lamborghini and quickly drove off. I knew right then, that I was no longer safe. What I cared and worried more about, was that the love of my life wasn’t safe either.

When things are calm, that's when you should worry.