Forever Running | Teen Ink

Forever Running

January 15, 2015
By always_tomorrow GOLD, Sacramento, California
always_tomorrow GOLD, Sacramento, California
10 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Don't dwell on the shores of your troubles, else the tide might come in and you'll start drowning.


     I run. As fast as my feet will carry me, I run.  Through the undergrowth and past the city limits, I run.  Sweat streaks down my face and I stumble, but I press on.  For I know that my window of escape is shrinking, even as the seconds pass, it gets smaller, making me feel claustrophobic.  So, if I fail now, I’ll have just about run out of chances. 
     The moon lights my path, my every step, as if it wishes for me to escape this hellhole as much as I do.  It shines through the trees in all its glory, urging me on. 
     The wind whispers to me, it tells me to keep going, “Faster,” it says, “faster!”  I obey its command, and as I feel the adrenaline course through my veins, I pick up speed.  I feel like I am floating, like the wind is carrying me, boosting me onward.  Then, it stops.
     The footsteps I hear behind me tug me back to reality.  They grow quicker, and louder as they approach.  The men holler at me, telling me to stop.  But oh!  I will never stop.  I will never stop running, trying to get away from this cage they have contained me in.  When will they learn that you can never keep a wild beast at bay? No, you have to let it free some time, or it will take by force what it hungers for.  But alas, these soul-less men will never learn.  Never.  So I continue to run.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     “Linda!” the Seeker gripping my upper arm drawled as he dragged me through the front door to a small, crowded diner.  “We have a gift for you,” his deep gritty voice was laced with hatred as we glared at each other, tension thickening the already polluted air. 
     My mother appeared through the worn wooden door leading to the kitchen.  She took one look at me and gasped, dropping the plate of beverages she had been carrying.  She rushed to my side, “Oh, my poor baby!” She touched the side of my face, where I was sure a bruise had formed.  “What happened?” Her desperate eyes searched mine, begging me to let her in.  I turned my face away, I couldn’t afford to let petty emotions hold me back when I’d gotten this far.  She then switched her gaze to the Seeker, “What happened?”
     His voice was thick with mockery, “She tried to get over the wall, but I caught her just as she began to climb the hill.” His face held a smug expression, but it vanished with my next comment.
     “Yeah, it took you long enough. Lay off the food, work out a little,  and maybe next time it’ll be a fair match.”
     “Amber!” I cringed, looking up at my mother’s scowling face, “There will be no ‘next time.’ Don’t you know what they will do to you?”
     I rolled my eyes, shaking off the Seeker’s meaty hand, “Oh, please.  You and I both know that I’d take death over staying here to rot any day.” The rest of the people in the diner gasped, I had almost forgotten they were there.  “What?” I turned to them, “Do you really enjoy it here?  Here, where we labor ourselves to the bone just to get a slab of meat?  Here, where if there is a hint of diversity, they hang you as a public demonstration?”  I rose my voice, “Here, where we have no choice but to slave ourselves to a man, my father, might I add, who would kill you—his own daughter even, because we dared to speak our minds?”
     A voice from the far back spoke, “But at least we have something here, instead of nothing out there.”
     I swiveled my head in the direction of the voice, “You really believe the sick lie that there is nothing out there? Let me ask you, where do we get all of our supplies from, our stock? There has to be something out there, whether you all believe it or not!” I rose my voice, “And what about my grandfather? The man that built this city and gave you this safe place. His will strictly states --”
     The seeker cut me off, “His will is irrelevant.”
     “You don't think that the earth would have healed itself after nine hundred years? My grandfather thought so! He thought it would be fine after two hundred years!”
     “Your grandfather was insane!”
     “Don't you dare,” I turned on the seeker, “mock my grandfather. He was more sane than anyone here! He believed in the power of rejuvenation. He wasn't crazy. The earth is new again, there is something out there, and if you just let me prove it to you...” I trailed off as I heard the scraping of a chair from the back of the diner. 
     The same man that spoke out before stood up and glanced around nervously, his gaze finally landing on the Seeker, “Tell her Colton, there’s nothing out there.” He seemed to want to convince himself more than he wanted to persuade me. 
     Colton, gripped my arm and sneered, his voice loud enough the whole diner could hear, “The man’s right, there is nothing out there for you.  All of our supplies come from the king himself.” His voice dropped to a whisper and he leaned closer to me, “You’re so pathetic, dreaming of a world that doesn’t exist… you’re just giving yourself false hope.”  He began circling me, continuing to speak in a low voice so only I could hear, “And if I ever catch you trying to convince someone else of this ‘perfect’ world I will personally make sure you suffer a slow, torturous death… whether your petty father agrees to it or not.”  He threw me to the ground in front of my mother, “Control your mutt.”  He gave me a sharp kick in the ribs, making me double over in pain, laughing at me and throwing his arms wide to display the scene. “This is what happens to those who disobey the law. I hope that you will all remember this and take it into consideration should you ever think about trying something yourself.” I had begun to get up, but he shoved me back down, making sure I my head hit the nearby table on the way down. He looked down at me and shook his head, “Pathetic,” and stalked out the door.
     My mother gave me a concerned look and crouched to help me up.  But I denied her help, “I’m fine.”  The people had stopped eating during the little scene with Colton, but returned to their previous tasks as I turned and glared at all of them, limping to the door.
     I stepped outside into the frigid air and slammed the door behind me.  I clutched my ribs as I amble down the stairs, grimacing each time I landed.  As I walked past an old shop window, I stopped to observe my reflection. There was a big bruise on the right side of my face, and several cuts on my forehead, cheeks and chin.  “I need to clean up…” I mumbled, turning to walk down the street toward the building I was forced to call home. 
     The damp darkness of the building greeted me with cool familiarity.  I took a deep breath and headed to the wash-room.   I gathered first-aid supplies – a wash cloth, bandages, and my mom’s stash of alcohol, seeing as we didn’t have any other disinfecting material.  I washed my hands then began cleaning my wounds, wincing when the alcohol seeped into the open wounds.  First I took care of the ones on my face; I turned my attention to where Colton had kicked me.  There was a thin gash where his boot had punctured my skin, and the area around it was already reddening and turning deep purple in color.  I gingerly felt around the area, groaning when I found that two of my ribs had cracked.  I poured some of the foul drink onto the skin, yelping as it sent searing pain up my side. Carefully, I wrapped the bandages around my ribs, securing it with a firm knot. 
     A soft knocking on the front door made me jump, and my elbow skated over my injured ribs.  I forced my cry down, pulled my shirt down and walked toward the door, grabbing the makeshift club leaning on the wall just in case.  The knock came again, louder this time followed by an irritated voice,            “Amber, what’s taking so long?  Your house isn’t that big!”  I sighed and lowered the club.
     “Hey Miles,” I opened the door to the only person in this establishment that I would consider calling a friend. 
     He took in my appearance, from my bruised and cut face to my bandaged mid-section, and offered a small smile.  He then looked from me to the club still in my hand and confusion washed over his face.  “What’s with the stick?”
     I sighed and propped the club back up against the wall, “You know me Miles. I don’t trust anyone here, and you can never be too safe.” His face still held that cheeky smile, but his eyes reflected a bit of hurt.  “Aww, Miles,” I touched his arm, “It’s not you, I just can’t afford to get attached to anyone if I’m ever getting out of this place.”  He stiffened.
     “You’re still leaving?” He clenched his jaw, muscles taut.
     I closed my eyes, “Yes…”
     Miles cut me off, “Did you not hear what Colton said?  There is nothing out there!  And you know what they’ll do to you if you get caught!”  He reached out and touched my cheek and said in a softer voice, “I don’t want to lose you.”
     And I you. I thought, No, do not let him hold you back.  You can’t afford any of these emotions right now… least of all love.  I shook my head, backing away.  “I can’t believe that.  There has to be something out there.  Where does everything come---“
     “It comes from the king Amber!  Your father!  You have to trust him don’t you?”
     “I don’t have to trust anyone,” I spat, “least of all him.”  Miles began to protest, but I cut him off.  “He doesn’t care about me. He doesn’t care about my mother, his wife, the woman that he devoted his life to.  All he cares about is attention and money --- working people to the bones so they give him exactly what he wants.  Nothing less.  All he is, is a conceited, lying thief.  Lying to everyone, planting the idea that there is nothing out there in their heads so they think they have no choice but to serve him.” I raised my voice, “Look around!  Do you see any happiness?  Real happiness?  My father, the man you call ‘king’ has deprived you of everything, just so he comes out as the top dog.”  I looked at Miles in the eyes, holding his gaze, “Now tell me.  Do you still believe that there is nothing for us out there?”
     “I don’t know… all I have is here.”  His voice cracked, and a silent tear spilled over his lashes.  I reached out and wiped it. 
     “Come with me.”
     He shook his head softly, taking my hand in his, “I can’t.  I have to take care of my sisters... I wish I could...” I nodded, backing away.
     “I need to finish packing.”  I went to my room and threw a pack of matches and a small supply of food in a pouch.  Then I fished under my bed for a canteen and filled it up with water, attaching it and the pouch to my belt.  It would slow me down slightly, but if I did make it over the wall, I didn’t want to die of thirst. 
     I stalked over to the door, but Miles held out a hand to stop me from opening it.  “Before you go, will you do something for me?”
     “Of course.” I looked up at him with questioning eyes. 
     He leaned in and whispered, “Kiss me.”
     “Wha—“
     “Kiss me, so I can rest assured that there was once a time when you loved me the way I love you.”
     “Miles, I—“
     “Please. I know you like me, I can see it on your face. You don't have to admit it, just perform this one simple action and I'll know for sure.” I sighed, leaning into him.  He tilted my head up, forcing me to look deep into his chocolate brown eyes.  I closed my eyes and a second later our lips found each other.  It was a bittersweet kiss, one that would forever linger on my lips. 
     I pulled away, tears welling in my eyes, “I have to go.” I squeezed his hand and bounded out the door.  Tears blurred my vision, but I had to keep going, I would not let this thing called love get in the way of my escape.  I was leaving.  Finally, this was my last chance.  I had to get this right. 
     I had just gotten outside the city when I heard the footsteps behind me.  I silently cursed, pumping my arms and legs to the limit.  Tonight there was no moon, and the trees shut out the light of the stars. I was alone… forever alone.  Sobs racked through my body, causing my vision to blur.  I could not see where I was going; there was only my memory to guide me.  Branches scratched my face and I my feet got tripped up in the undergrowth.  I stumbled. Once, twice, and the last time sent me flying to the ground.  I tried to get up, but a crushing weight came down upon my ribs, making me cry out in agony. 
     “Hello, Amber.  I didn’t think you would heed to my warning, so my men and I waited for you.  Kind of us, wasn’t it?”  Colton ground his weight into me, causing several of my ribs to crack.  My vision was going red, I was just barely aware of dozens of men around me, guns trained on me.  And a distant voice, calling my name.
     “Amber!”
     I shifted, causing my ribs to cave even farther, I screamed in agony, shocks of pain coursing through my body.  “Miles?” I managed.
     “Amber, it’s me. I’m here.”  I felt a hand on my face, only to have it ripped away a second later.
     “Stay out of this, boy.  You have no business here.”  Colton gestured to one of the surrounding Seekers, and he grabbed Miles roughly by the shoulder.  Miles struggled to get free, twisting around and sending blows to the Seeker’s gut. The Seeker dropped his gun, and Miles swiftly picked it up off the ground, knocking the Seeker unconscious with the butt of the rifle.  He turned and trained the gun on Colton, daring him to harm me further.
     “Let her go,” he demanded, his finger tightening around the trigger.  But Colton was quicker; he pulled a pistol out of his belt and sent a silver bullet through Miles’ head.
     “NO!” I screamed, “Miles!” I love you… I screamed and screamed until my voice gave out.  I was vaguely aware of a group of Seekers dragging me back toward the city, back to the place I despised, but I was numb, the vivid details of Miles’ last moments stuck in my mind, like a video forever stuck on replay. 
     Before I knew it I was within the gates of the king’s estate.  The five story building towering over everything else that surrounded it.  I was led into a stone room on the second story, and the door was locked behind us. Colton was standing in front of me, a malicious grin stuck to his face, “Miss Amber,” venom dripped off his words like water would from a leaky faucet, slow and constant.  “Do you know why you are here?” Something he had said recently appeared in my mind, I will personally make sure you suffer a slow, torturous death…
     “You’re going to kill me now.” I stated, my voice hoarse. Please kill me… please.
     “Oh, no no no!” He smiled, “I've decided against that. I'm simply going to torture you, break you, physically, and mentally.” He turns and retrieves something from a table behind him. “We raided your house, hope you don't mind, and I found this.” He held it out for me to see. In his hands rested my makeshift club, with some additions. “You did a good job with this, very sturdy, a good weapon. It just needed a little more.” He grinned up at me, “Those metal spikes there were hand crafted by me. Didn't take long, I used to be a blacksmith you know. See the way they curve? They get stuck in your skin and when I pull away, and rip off tiny pieces of flesh, so you're slowly loosing pieces of yourself, hopefully, along with your spirit and dignity.” 
     My poker face falters, I shrink back in fear, scooting myself up to the wall. Colton steps closer, and I kick out at him, my foot connecting with his shin. One of the other seekers step forward to stop me, but Colton holds his hand out. “That won't be necessary, it won't be a problem much longer.” He straightens up, and before I can figure out exactly what he meant, the club comes down and connects, hard, with my left leg.
     I scream out in agony, the pain is not only in my leg, but it shimmies its way up and throughout my whole body. My vision goes blurry. I look down at my legs. Seven holes indent my leg, and they bleed profusely. I gag, and don't notice Colton swinging the club again until it's too late. My right leg is almost identical to the left now, and both are equally useless. Colton laughs at me, “How ya' feeling, sweets? Does it hurt? Oh, good.” He kicks me, and I roll over, spitting up blood. I scream, immense pain ricocheting up and down my body. Another swing from the club connects with my leg, and along with it comes a sharp crack. I cry out, tears streaming down my face. The seeker's foot comes crushing down on my other leg, breaking it as well.
     The beating goes on for another agonizing hour until everyone finally leaves. And I am left bruised and battered on the floor, the Seeker's last words ringing in my ears. “You can dream, think, and wish to run away all you want, but I can assure you that will never happen. Your legs will never recover from this, just like the earth will never recover from the destruction it was done years ago. I hope you live a long life, Amber, with an everyday reminder of your stupidity that got someone killed, and that ended in you learning the hardest lesson of your life.”