The Artist's Mystery | Teen Ink

The Artist's Mystery

December 20, 2014
By BlossomM. PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
BlossomM. PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
20 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Light, but visible, the pencil glids over the paper, shadowing here and there, forming complete and incomplete lines. An eye is formed, then the eyebrow, then the aristocratic brow, working to the hair, long, dark, and flowing, glistening in an unknown light. The rest of the face is formed, a strong jaw, equiline nose, soft mouth, and then the missing eye. The neck is drawn, slender but strong enough to hold up the magnificent mane of hair that had magically grown on the paper. Shoulders, broud, but not ugly, are drawn next, along with the top of a loose blouse and a flying silk scarf, shaded in just right to give it a three-dimensional look. The arms, muscular but slender, grip the hastily drawn, metal railing. Upon a sudden idea, a wide brimed hat is placed upon her head, before returning to draw the rest of the blouse, buckled by the wind, and the tight, faded jeans, finished off by dainty feet in black heels. The railing becomes part of a ship, the ship is placed on the ocean. For added dramatic effect, a single tear eternally rolls down her cheek. A young woman, with sorrow in her heart, her story a mystery to even the artist, who leaves it up to the viewer to make up.