A Discarded Alphabet | Teen Ink

A Discarded Alphabet

December 24, 2014
By Will_Treaty SILVER, Middlebury, IN, Indiana
Will_Treaty SILVER, Middlebury, IN, Indiana
5 articles 4 photos 2 comments

“Come here children, i’m going to tell you the story of when I was young. It started 10 years ago...”

I feel rumbling; I hear a loud mechanical noise. The sound, it’s terrible. The droning sound of the machines that keeps ringing in my head.


I keep on getting bumped around. Then something smashes against my back. It makes me heavier but it fits perfectly on my spine. I hear something coming. I start sweating, its getting really hot. I feel crushed. I'm frantically trying to think what is happening, is someone trying to kill me. I feel like i'm getting torchered. Then it ends. Just as fast as it had started. The cool air. The thing I am on jerks and I smell something funny. It smells like... like... ink? Then suddenly I am ripped open but my pages don't open up all the way, some are bent a little. Then the printer hits me. Wham! Turn bent page, Wham! Turn bent page. It went on like this for a while until it has gotten all the way through me. With a thud I change direction. Am i'm going up now, or is it down? I can't tell anymore, i'm going everywhere. Then like almost out of nowhere, I hear voices. They sound like human voices so I'm wondering where I am. Then the most shocking thing happens, I get lifted up. The person opens me up and I see the world for the first time. It isn't anything like I had imagined it would be. There were rows and rows of conveyer belts and only the color gray. I always thought there would be more color in the world.  The hands are rough with me and I watch the woman's face as she looks at me, disgusted like I shouldn't be there and says, “This one is a fail.” When she said that... it hurt. Then she slams me shut really hard and throws me into something that was really hard and stunk as if I had just gotten out of a tar pit.  Then something slams down on top of me. It feels Like a brick wrapped up in something plastic. Then, the light closes up and I’m lifted up and swung along.


Then I hear through this bag like thing, “ Joey! Throw this down the garbage chute!  The trash truck is almost here!”


Suddenly I’m falling, the air rushing through my pages; an exhilarating feeling, my stomach in my head.  Then I land in a big pile of what I think are bags. Then I hear this “BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.”  And then I know, that this won’t be good. the sound is getting closer, I start to panic because something is starting to crush in on me, but instead of going down into what sounds like a crusher, I go up and out of the container that is holding me.  I hit the ground really hard and that is the last thing that I remember before going black.

 

I wake up to the sound of a young child. I’m being shaken around just a little bit, but with a tender care to. Someone opens up my eyes and I take in my surroundings once again. I'm in a small, cozy house that looks a bit too old for what it really is.


I see a motherly face and I see her mouth moving but I am still too groggy to hear what she is saying.
When my hearing comes around, the words she says brings pride to my soul, she is reading the words that are on my pages, even though my pages are messed up. I think back to what had happened, and now I know that even though I may not be perfect, I’m perfect for certain people.