The Highlighter | Teen Ink

The Highlighter

December 5, 2014
By angelalerro SILVER, West Babylon, New York
angelalerro SILVER, West Babylon, New York
5 articles 2 photos 2 comments


I’m sitting in a classroom at school. It’s only the teacher and me in here but there are students across the hall talking loudly so I can’t concentrate on my chemistry homework. It doesn’t help that I totally dislike chemistry… but that will be a story for another time. After staring at my paper for an unknown amount of time I decide to put my stuff away and my head down on the desk. Nap time.
As I am enjoying my nap, I hear the door creak open. I don’t think anything of it because the windows are open, it could just be the wind. But then I hear a rolling noise. Huh, that’s strange. I get up and look around but nothing unusual was there. I sit down and go back to my nap.
I wake up to the rolling noise that has started up again. It gets louder, and louder, and louder. I pick up my head and my eyes dart around the room. When did the teacher leave? I look around one more time, nothing. Then the rolling stops.
“Hey, down here,” something whispers.
I look down. Again, I see nothing, except… a highlighter.
A highlighter? Was that there before?
“Who’s there?” I ask. A laugh.
“This is not funny. Who’s doing this?”
I feel something on my lap. The highlighter? How did that get on my lap??
“I jumped,” the highlighter says simply.
Oh, so THAT’S who was talking. But… how?
“MAGIC!” the highlighter exclaims.
I didn’t say that out loud. Can it read my mi-
“Yes.”
Okay then.
“What do you want?” I ask quietly.
“Color with me.”
So, I do. I find a piece of paper and pick up the highlighter.
“Ouch! Don’t hold me so tight!” the highlighter squeaks.
“Sorry,” I say as I start coloring.
“So, do you have a name?”
“Joe,” the highlighter says happily.
I ask him other questions while I draw. I draw a sun and a flower, it looks nice.
“Good job!” Joe says.
He rolls around the table, asking me questions similar to the ones I asked him before.
A few minutes later Joe rolls off of the table and towards the door.
“Well, it was nice meeting you!” Joe yells before he rolls out of the door.
I stare out of the door for a while, trying to figure out what just happened. I shook my head.
“I REALLY need to sleep more,” I say to myself.
The bell rings. I grab my bag and head to my next class.