We are the Lost | Teen Ink

We are the Lost

By isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia

"They say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon

You will not hear my voice.  It’s long gone by now.  I have gone missing, yet I know where I am.  If only others would find there to me.  I left some while ago.  Days pass in minutes where I stand.  He took me at first sight unknowing of my pride.  In my pride, I told myself I would not be murdered.  It is humiliating.  My future was right there, but it won’t help me if I end up in the ground. 
He had a flat face.  Pale to the point where it blends into the white milky sky.  The straight outline his nose made pierced my vision with a haunting silhouette.  I couldn’t hear the words that he let out.  They did not seem important.  Every ounce of my mind and soul was consumed in his face.  My heart thumped violently, bringing my head to a dull aching throb.  Just one glance and I knew his face would appear in my nightmares for eternity.  I could feel my blood boil as I stared at him.  And yet, nothing phased him.  Until yesterday. 
I left yesterday.  I made sure he wouldn’t wake up anytime soon.  Then I made sure that after he wakes up, he would either be in hell or completely stuck.  And I ran.  Ran until the pain went away.
Now I am lost again, but at my own will.  I am missing, and I know I will never be found.  My friends stay with me.  They tell me where to go, for they were once lost like me.  I don’t know where we are going.  It must be better than these lonesome woods.  The Lost.  My friends wear smiles.  Not what I expected to see of anybody lost.  Maybe being lost is better than staying found.  A ghost can do anything.  We walk unseen.  I am learning to smile along with them.  It feels ok. 
We wander our way through the woods.  Alone in the dark, but there are many of us.  We are the lost, never wanting to be found.  

I wrote this when I thought of all the missing people in the newspapers.  Each day there is a new set.  I wonder if any have been found, and I hope they can be safe.