You're Gorgeous | Teen Ink

You're Gorgeous

By janiee BRONZE, Lewes, Delaware
janiee BRONZE, Lewes, Delaware

"Today you are you, that is truer than true, there is no one alive who is youer then you."

-Dr. Seuss

"Christina it's time to go honey!" I yelled. I walked past the bedroom seeing my wife out of the corner of my eye. I backed up and walked in the room. She was sitting on the bed, head in her hands, sobbing.
"Christina whats wrong?" I said sympathetically. She dropped her hands, but didn't look at me.
" I Can't go out like this James." She mumbled.
"Why not?" I put my hand on her shoulder and rubbed her back.
"When I look in the mirror all I see is ugliness," she said. "When I look at my face, all I see is acne. When I look at my body, all I see is fat. My hair is gross, I'm embarrassed to wear shorts. I don't like-" she paused.
"You don't like what?" I asked.
"Me" she whispered. I felt the tears form in my eyes.
"Christina look at me." She gently shook her head. I put my finger on the tip of her chin and guided her head up till her eyes met mine.
"Christiana. I think your gorgeous."
"Oh don't start this James."
"No I will start this Christina." I was starting to get angry. I got up and paced back and forth.
"Christina, I think you're gorgeous. I love you with all my heart for just that reason. You are gorgeous inside and out. And you know what else." She put her head down again.
"What" she mumbled. I sat down in front of her on the bed and layed my head in her lap so she could see me. She wiped a tear from the side of my face.
"God thinks you're gorgeous. God loves you. He created you just the way you are, and you are perfect." I saw her lips slowly curve into the beautiful smile I had been waiting for. She leaned down and kissed me.
"Now wipe the tears from your eyes, and go put on that fake Crayola stuff you insist on using."
She giggled and got up off the bed.
"Hey." She turned and looked at me. "Don't hide that pretty face too much."