The Hole in a Man's Chest | Teen Ink

The Hole in a Man's Chest

By Master_Dylan_Bishop GOLD, Beaumont, California
Master_Dylan_Bishop GOLD, Beaumont, California

"If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.” ― Alfred Tennyson

We both leaned against a wall and stared into each other's eyes… I grabbed her hands and our fingers interlocked. I confessed the feelings in my heart and she took in every word. I reached through my chest and pulled out my heart for her. She took it and kept it safe for a year. I didn't miss my heart because it was always with her and that brought me joy. It went on every adventure with her and she loved it as much as her own heart.

But one day, it all suddenly changed. She approached me and handed my heart back to me. She told me she didn't want it anymore and my heart shattered right there in my hands. The world went dark as I closed my eyes and fell to my knees. Tears filled my eyes and I opened my eyes as a release. Through my blurry vision, I discovered the world around me had crumbled. I was placed upon a high tower and the world around me was just ruins in the darkness. A dim light shined on me which resembled my fading hope. I shifted my focus down to my hands as I felt my heart shatter and slip through my fingers. I reached up to my chest to see if my heart truly had disappeared and a chilling truth was confirmed. All I found was a hole in my chest. The feeling of emptiness ran through my veins and it shook me to the core. I dropped my head to my chest as I could no longer support myself through the pain that soon crippled me.

I'm just a man with a hole in my chest. I've been placed upon this tower for years now and I'm still waiting. I'm still waiting for my heart to come back to me.

… I don't know if it will ever come back.

This story comes from a few months after my first heartbreak...