Grandfather's Anonymous | Teen Ink

Grandfather's Anonymous

By BrinaJo2018 GOLD, Memphis, Tennessee
BrinaJo2018 GOLD, Memphis, Tennessee

Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure. -Rowena Ravenclaw

Many men throughout the Clickinton region follow the philosophy that when a backpack has marshmallows in it, the load is lighter. One man chose not to. He sat wrapped in a Snuggie on the mountaintop. He’s one of the significant figures living in Sample where everyone is supposedly kind and hindered by arthritis. Most knew him as a benign individual who lived in a telephone box, but he was what he wasn’t. His name was Barthofunkle Croxley. He chose not to follow the philosophy making him an outcast among the men living below him. His flaxen hair was always in a bun and pi was scribbled on his walls. He’s a mad man with opportunity, seeing as he’s the wealthiest man in the region and all who heard his name feared him and bowed down in humble submission, because he controlled the animals on the outside. One little girl living in a humble shack where flour painted her apron wasn’t afraid of the evil elder. One day, she decided that she was going to be the hero of her land. “If I don’t do it, who will,” she thought. She grabbed her rainbow cloak and headed towards Buffer Mountain. It bordered Sample, keeping it protected from the rapid Starbursts that threatened their lives on a daily basis. They thrived on the iridium flower sitting in the middle of the Petrichor Meadow. The smell of earthy rain was so strong there, it was said that no one could travel through the meadow without passing out.

Millicent was a fearless child and set out towards the meadow, which sat at the base of the mountain. To defeat Croxley, the flower had to be destroyed.
She jumped through hoops to find the meadow. The hoops hung low from the tree branches in the Montrastic Forest. They swayed in the gentle breeze, flames leaping into the sky, in an angry dance. The flames ripped her clothes and her white hair turned black with ash. Her freckled face was streaked with soot, but she moved on. She soon reached the base of the mountain and Millicent met her bespectacled match. He stood hunched over the flower, with his jeweled cane tapping out the rhythm of the Clickinton Anthem. “Hello my dearest little girl,” he said, “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you. You were a baby the last time I held you.”
The girl stood puzzled. She remembered seeing the man before, but she didn’t know where. “Sir, how is it that you remember me but I don’t remember you?” she asked.
“Think back to the days when you were but a toddler. Do you remember the inelastic collision? It happened so quickly and you were so unstable back then my dear girl, the ball just knocked you down. It’s a wonder you didn’t fall on me.”
“Fall on you?”
“Well, I was a rabbit at the time. You loved rabbits so I decided to be one for a little bit. I’m an animagus you see. Oh how you laughed my dearest Milly!”
“No one has called me that except for Grandfather. He disappeared from me long ago and no one dared to utter the location of his dwelling to me. He popped in and out at the strangest times! I haven’t forgotten him yet. I had hoped that he was afraid of the Starbursts so he left for good. If I were to destroy them, then he’d come back.”
“Exactly. I didn’t want to leave but I had to. I’m the one who can control the Starbursts. As long as people think I’m bringing on the attacks, then we’re safe.”
“You’re Grandfather? You said safe, safe from whom? I thought you were the feared?”
“Eldermore.”