Be My Valentine | Teen Ink

Be My Valentine MAG

"Hi, Patricia. What's up?"

"Hey, Eddie!"

"Are you doing anything tonight or maybe Saturday?"

"Um, no. Why?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to go out."

"Yeah, sure. Great, of course!"

"Great! Can I call you?"

"I'll write my number down next period. How's that!"

"Well, I'll see you then!"

That's how it all started. It was so cute and typical and corny. Unfortunately, at the time I thought it was the most thrilling thing that had ever happened to me. For the rest of the day I went from class to class like a ditzy little cheerleader and my friends were disgusted. I even wrote him a note during chemistry and almost got in trouble since I flicked the note across the room by accident. My teacher noticed and for the rest of the year, she never thought of me as a little angel again. Actually, everybody got the same impression since he was my first date, ever, and we were always walking around hand in hand. That Friday was Valentine's Day. My parents insisted on meeting him but they were late and Eddie was on time.

The doorbell rang and I ran to get the door, checking my outfit one last time. I invited him in and the first thing he did was hold out his hands. I thought he wanted to hold my hands, so I put them in his. He pulled me closer and hugged me, whispering in my ear that he has been looking forward to this for a long time. Eventually, my parents came home. They were twenty minutes late. He was a perfect gentleman; he took off his hat and shook hands with my dad. My mom would later tell me that he looked like a good kid. They instantly took to his nearly orange fuzzy hair. And I loved his blue eyes. He was quite a character; he always knew when to be serious. My parents were impressed. Every time he called, they would say, "Oh, Patricia, Prince Charming is on the phone."

That night we went to see "Fools Rush In." It was a good movie, what I saw of it! Unbeknownst to my parents, we went roller skating, too. It was an unexpected suggestion; how could I say no? Driving to Montvale was considerably more exciting with him since his average speed was 70 m.p.h., whereas my dad's was usually 30 m.p.h. I could see cars whizzing past us, only we were passing them. I couldn't help but think it was wonderful, being there with him, not caring about the danger. I put on my rental skates; he had his own, since they were in his trunk, hockey maniac that he was. For the first time, I stayed on the floor for the "Couples Only" songs. It was a wonderful date. He even had me home at 10: 00, to the delight of my parents. Of course, he had to go 90 m.p.h. on the way back to make it on time. I kissed him goodbye and he got out of the car to open the back door. I didn't have to wonder for long: he presented a bouquet of dark red roses and a Valentine card.

I still have that card and every letter and note he ever gave me. We had a good two months and I learned a lot about relationships and love. Invari-ably, it ended. He was going to college and I was only a sophomore. Eddie, not unlike all men in the universe, was afraid of commitment. Love was doubly frightening. Of course he assumed I was in love with him, which I wasn't. He ended up telling me I was immature, though much later. I know he was right, now. But he was too. Thank you, Prince Charming. 1

i love this !

MhsAnonymous SILVER, Morristown, New Jersey

Life is like a dream. Its perfect until you wake up into reality.

I love the ending. You think its a happily ever after and then it twists and turns to something different. Different in a good way. Good job!

coly33 BRONZE said...
coly33 BRONZE, Lyndhurst, New Jersey

aww that was beutiful fun and romantic but the ending was sad but i didn't want to stop reading it was inspiring

:)