Death | Teen Ink

Death

By NatashaH26 BRONZE, New York, New York
NatashaH26 BRONZE, New York, New York

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. -Buddha

She carried it across the world. On her back, in her hands, tied to her feet. She carried it, looking for the man from whom it came. She gave birth to a child on her journey and when she lie on her death bed she told her son to carry it and to find the man from whom it came. And then placed it in his hands. His eye brows wrinkled for it was just a simple jug, his mother then told him never to open the box for it was only for the man from which it came. The boy searched and searched for the man but yet he could not find him. And during his travels he found love, he decided to abandon his mothers task and create a family with the women he loved. The jug was lost and the mother weeped from her grave. The jug was found by its owner but the owner did not open it for he knew what it contained. He searched far and wide to find someone to open the jug, but the more he asked the more people knew not to open it. Then the owner found a women who did not know of the jug and he decided to marry her in hopes that she would open the jug from pure curiosity. But soon after they had married he fell deeply in love with her and did not want her to open the jug. He would not tell her what was inside it because then he would have to explain how he got it. So for years they lived happily until her curiosity got the best of her and she opened the jug. When the owner got home and found her dead he knew what had happened. She had found death and let it out of its cage and into the world.

thefuf said...
on Jan. 31 2014 at 10:48 am
a rhythmic narrative that reads like the Old Testament, feels like a Borges story. A modern Pandora myth. Very powerful Voice

Juliej said...
on Jan. 31 2014 at 10:22 am
This extraordinary allegory for death served to ignite my gratitude for life in all its beauty and messiness.

on Jan. 31 2014 at 10:10 am
Lovely, Mythlcal quality to this piece.