Alice | Teen Ink

Alice

December 9, 2013
By Bella_Rose7 GOLD, St. Marys, Pennsylvania
Bella_Rose7 GOLD, St. Marys, Pennsylvania
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Not...a good idea I tell you! Not a good...idea at all!" the pasty fur rabbit panted as he struggled to match the pace of the girl ahead of him. She trudged along through the oddly proportioned house. It seemed like so long ago since she had been there last. She was just a child then. Long before her teen years came to sweep away her innocence.
It appeared as though the house had been trashed. The remains of wooden tables and chairs sprawled out, as bottles and knick-knacks lay astray among the floor. It was no longer as it had once been. It was empty now. The silky grey-black material cascading from the girl's dress continuously nipped the wet, black nose of the rabbit as he trailed along behind her, working effortlessly to convince her of something. She ignored him. Her golden locks whipped upwards as her stride quickened, revealing artificial streaks of jet black. Her frayed tote bounced rhythmically on her hip as she walked. "Oh dear, oh dear." The rabbit tugged on the girl's dress in desperation. She whipped her head around, piercing the fur ball with an irritated glare through her heavy eye makeup. She continued on.
Through the trees they now traveled until they found themselves in a familiar setting. There, amid the center of the forest, lie a long, cheerfully decorated dining table. After a brief pause, the girl glanced at her surroundings, as if to check for something, and continued marching into the middle of the scene. She had the recurring thought of revenge dancing through her mind. "P-p-please! Don't do it!" the nervous rabbit bounced all around, going unnoticed by the girl. She pulled out her bag, and automatically began emptying its contents.
She set down a small corked bottle and a thermos. Despite the rabbit's desperate pleas, the girl uncorked the bottle, allowing its sickly-yellow liquid to drip from the glass brim into the steaming container. A malicious smirk grew upon the girls twisted face as she poured the new concoction into a tea kettle. She set the table. In the distance, the sound of a voice could be heard. And the girl knew in her heart that it belonged to no one other than the Queen. The girl hurried away. No one ever suspected such a thing from dear Alice.


The author's comments:
Alice grew up.