Letter From The Front Lines | Teen Ink

Letter From The Front Lines

November 29, 2013
By PentapodMonster BRONZE, Shenzhen, Other
PentapodMonster BRONZE, Shenzhen, Other
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Dear Nathan,

We're dying. But then, I'm sure you know that.

...I'm not sure what they told you, or what you know. But every day, I'm getting slower. I can no longer function and go on. The energy I'm getting I try to use...but the invaders keep multiplying here, Nate. They replaced all my friends long ago, and I'm one of the only ones left that I know of who hasn't been compromised. I can no longer trust anyone but you, even though I'm not sure you'll ever know about this simple letter from the front lines.

The invaders make more of themselves daily, replicating with all their speed. I have tried to make more of myself, but left all alone, I don't have their brute speed or strength. The rest are, my comrades...the rest have been injected with the serum that imparts their lies. They know they should stop reading it, but they keep producing the toxins, mindlessly...meaninglessly....even as they apologize, they keep on destroying all around our world, creating mutations that reak of death and decay - each one promising that the next dawn will never come. That the agents up top will cease working, and the place will fall into nothing.

But Nate...even if I sound really..hehe, well, desperate here, I really think maybe we still have a chance. Just keep sending over that energy and maybe I can multiply enough to save my world.

Just keep breathing for me, Nate.

It's odd to say this...but you kinda are my whole world, kiddo. And I mean that literally. You, an eleven year old, are my world.

Don't give up on me. I'll...never... give... up.....on....you...

......

The heart monitor in the halls of a hospital starts to whine, sound echoing through as another bed is wheeled, squeaking, outside.


The author's comments:
A short drabble...