The Secret Life of My English Teacher | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of My English Teacher

By swimmergirl3 SILVER, Canandaigua, New York
swimmergirl3 SILVER, Canandaigua, New York

"i love you more than swimming... haha keep dreaming" “Goodbye? Oh no, please. Can’t we just go back to page one and start all over again?” – Winnie The Pooh

Mrs. Zea always starts English class cheerful and excited, walking into class with a big smile on her face ready to start. Eager to start our new book, all ten kids start to zone out and engage in their own small conversations. From the expression on Mrs. Zea’s face she starts getting annoyed with the class.

BAM!! Mrs. Zea slams the books on the desk in front of her. We all jump startled from the loud noise and immediately shut our mouth.

“Squirrels!” She yells at us. Everyone stares back at her with blank faces, not understanding why our teacher just called us squirrels. Noticing our blank faces she then says “you guys are just like a bunch of squirrels. You get off topic so easily. You’re all a little squirrely in the head as well.”

The whole class laughs and I say “Mrs. Zea you’re also a bit squirrely too!” Everyone agrees and we get on with the lesson. I zone out for the rest of class wondering about the odd remark Mrs. Zea made about us acting just like squirrels. It seemed weird that she would say something like that.

When school ended I decided to hide in the trunk of Mrs. Zea’s car. Before I got in the trunk I noticed a big bag. Shocked at what I see I rub my eyes just to make sure that the huge bag actually said squirrel food on it. Quickly I cram into the trunk as I wait and then the car starts moving.

After about a half an hour of being crushed by the huge bag of food the car finally stops. I have to push the bag off of my stomach as it presses me to the floor. Flipping myself over, I crawl to the trunk door. My hand sweating while my heart beats fast, I open the door just a crack to make sure Mrs. Zea did not hear or see me. Poking my head out I look to my left and to my right. When the coast is clear I swiftly hop out. Suddenly I hear a noise come from the inside of the house. Immediately I crawl under the car. Mrs. Zea comes out of her house and grabs the bag of food. My whole body freezes as I hold my breath hoping she won’t hear me. She then goes back into her house.

I tip toe to the front porch and peak threw one of the windows and I see Mrs. Zea go down stairs. Opening the front door with my trembling hands hoping not to make any noise, I slide inside the house. Quickly I walk to the door where Mrs. Zea had gone into and slightly opened it and look through the crack. It leads down to her basement. Stealthy I walk down the stairs.

Lights glow along the floor making a path. The room is dark accept for the glowing lights. Nervously I follow the path of lights which leads me to a door. Pressing my ear the door I hear loud cheers in the other room. I open the door and a giant crowd of people surrounded by one long bright pink runway fills the room. Lights flash as I try to look for Mrs. Zea. With no luck I crawl and make my way up to the front of the runway to get a better view.

Music starts playing as these little tiny things start to walk out on the runway. On the big screen I can see that the tiny things are squirrels? I probably look so stupid because I notice that my jaw is wide open as I stare at the screen and is the only person in the whole room that is not cheering. The squirrels are wearing cloths as well as little shoes. The squirrels are the runway models! I was blown away at the odd sighting.

After all the squirrels have walked showing off their cloths the designer comes out on stage. I gasp as I see Mrs. Zea, my spunky English teacher come out on stage waving her hand and bowing. She walks to the end of the runway and spots me in the crowd. Putting her finger up to her lips for me to shh, I know that I need to keep this to myself. I run behind the stage and finds Mrs. Zea.

“Mrs. Zea you design squirrel models cloths?”’

“Yes Kristen I do. It has always been my passion to be a cloths designer and Squirrels are just adorable. In the end I decided to combine the two and it’s a hit! How did you find me here?”

“Umm well I really got to go do my homework Mrs. Zea. Bye!” I say with a reddened face. Quickly I run out of the house before she could ask me anything else.

My English teacher is a cloths designer for squirrel models… cool! I guess teachers are right we truly do learn something new every day.