One Night | Teen Ink

One Night

By iBunty SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
iBunty SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

I was smiling broadly, as I fixed my collar and tie. I was getting dressed for a high school reunion. It was going to be quite interesting, meeting all the people again. There was going to be a lot of catching up to do. But the night was special for another reason. Mona and I went to middle school together, 7th grade and on. She was the first person to actually pronounce my name right, but of course, that is not the reason why I liked her. She was so pretty, even then, and I honestly was falling in love. It took me 3-4 years to make a move. Some may find it ridiculous; “It’s not that big of a deal, man. If you really liked her, why didn’t you ask her out?” I did, in high school.

We have been together ever since, almost 7 years. It was a crazy roller coaster ride for both of us. But we stuck to one another, thick and thin. We truly loved one another. The night of the reunion was special because I was going to propose to her that night. The ring was in my pocket, and it would soon be on her finger. Mona was a pretty awkward person, and I found it the cutest thing. I knew she would freak out, me proposing to her in front of all our good friends from high school. But as long as I wasn’t rejected, I was fine.

When we arrived at the party, we got the warmest of welcomes. There were so many familiar faces, and we both were quite excited to see them all. Then Mona tells me she will return in a few. I didn’t know where she was going, but I said sure, and waited at a corner, chatting up with a couple of old friends. At this point, it has been over 20 minutes I stood alone, still waiting for Mona to come back. I texted her 4 times, asking her where she went; no response. Just then, when I tried calling her, I saw her three friends and herself walk out of the house. I followed them to see where they were going, and soon saw her get into one of her friends’ car and drive off. I was speechless, I wondered what was going on, where was she going? I even called her 5-6 times, no response.
This is one particular thing I did not like about Mona. She would make last-minute, and I mean last-minute decisions and disregard anything that has been going on. This time, it was quite a big deal. I was going to propose to her tonight. She availed my patience, which I did not appreciate. Nevertheless, I walked back to the corner and just stared at my phone, begging on the inside for her to text me back, or even a call. But my phone simply stared back with my dark reflection. The looks I have been getting from everyone was the worst. Everyone was wary of Mona’s departure with her friends, leaving me behind. This was supposed to be special, for both of us, and everyone else. What was she thinking, what was she thinking at that moment? Did she forget about me?
It has been 4 hours, and the party was over. Although it gave me time to catch up with my two best friends, Elliott and Morgan. We have stuck together for who knows how long. We were practically brothers. They took note of Mona’s absence and pestered me about her and what was going to happen that night. I, of course, did not know what to say, it was unknown to me as to why she just ditched me at a party that meant so much to me. You may be thinking at this point, why? Why are you even with her, knowing she does things like that? Why be with someone who does not care for you, or your feelings, or how your feelings affect them and you? Because I loved her. I still do.
It has been 5 years since the reunion, and I have still been waiting for some sort of contact from Mona. These years have been completely hectic; I have been trying to get ahold of her every way possible. I talked to all of our friends, her family members, her acquaintances from work; they were all as clueless as I. She just left me, and our life behind. I was under constant doubt and insecurity. I questioned everything I did from then on. What was the main reason she left me, why did she do it? I completely disregarded the fact that SHE left ME. I did nothing wrong. But I knew something was wrong with me that lead her to decide to do what she did. I was in shambles, at that point. I developed cancer from all the years of smoking… I felt isolated. I needed help. I needed her.
The doctor gave me my time. Although I did go into remission after the therapies; the resistance was futile.I ended up smoking anyways. As I lay on my deathbed, smoking my last cigarette and looking at all the cards and flowers I have received from friends and family, and with Elliott by my side, who snuck in the cancer stick for me. I thought to myself; what is Mona doing right now? Has she thought about me in the past 5 years? I didn’t know. I don’t think I wanted to know, not anymore. It was the end for me. What could possibly change my life now? Then Elliott pulled out a card. It is a wedding invitation, from Mona. Inside the card also had a letter, addressing what happened, how it happened, and why it happened 5 years ago.
I was given an invitation to the wedding of my girlfriend of 7 years, my soon-to-be-fiance, 5 years ago, and a letter to justify what had happened, while I went through Hell because of her. I burned the letter right then, it held no value anymore. Just like my life, my feelings, and my love for Mona.

I had a dream somewhat similar to this story, so I thought I'd transform it into a sad, mysterious short story.