Wheat Field | Teen Ink

Wheat Field MAG

By Anonymous

    The man stands in the middle of his wheat field as dark clouds slowly make their way over his head. With a sorry look on his face, he takes off his hat and gently puts it under his arm. He stares longingly at the stalk of wheat in his hand as his mind slowly reflects. He thinks back on his younger days, when he was a vibrant, young cowboy and nothing held him back. He would ride for days on the prairie with no destination - till he met her.

He remembers the way she looked - her hair tousled in front of her eyes. The first thing he thought was, This woman will be my wife; my whole life is now devoted to her. She was in the middle of an open wheat field, down on her knees, weeping like a child. He noticed a small animal beneath her. He saw its wound and its blood flowing. Instinctively, he ran over to them and took off his coat, wrapping it around the tiny body of the dying creature.

"They - they shot him," the beautiful girl said. "Can you please help him? Please, I don't know what to do." He picked up the small dog and brought it to his horse as the woman got on the back. They galloped to a nearby town. He carried the near lifeless body of the tiny dog to the local vet. "Can you please help this animal? I will pay you whatever it takes," said the man. The vet, only used to dealing with horses, gave a little smile, took the dog from his arms and brought him to the back of the shop.

He looked over at the woman who sat crying in the hard oak chair. He put his arm around her to comfort her. She then wrapped her arms around his neck and squeezed so tightly that he thought he was going to lose his breath for good. "Thank you," she whispered in his ear. He felt the tears bleeding through his shirt. He knew then, he would love her till the day he died.

With a smile on his face, the man, now old, cried tears of happiness as he remembered his beautiful wife and his wonderful children. Now his kids were grown, and wife was with God. All he has now, he thinks, is what he started with, the wheat which made his memories.