I Cared | Teen Ink

I Cared

By AnimeLover619 SILVER, San Diego, California
AnimeLover619 SILVER, San Diego, California

The piano plays a sad tune as tears fall from my eyes. The song plays softly and quietly, barely even audible across the hall. I look around to see where I am, but as my head looks down, I see it. A body I should not be able to see from a distance. A body whose I should not be able to see without a mirror. A body inside of a casket. My eyes start getting heavy and I start to feel dizzy. I look away from the body, feeling sick if I were ever to look at it again. As I started to regain my composure, I finally notice that I am at a funeral, or what should be a funeral. But nothing is here, like a stranded boot camp. No gifts, no mourning, nothing. Just me. I think to myself, “Oh, the funeral has probably yet to start, that is why no one is here yet.” But I knew this was a lie to protect myself. I sat down facing the door, waiting for people to walk through. I waited and waited. Hours passed by and no one came. A day passed, and a group of people came, taking my casket away. A week has passed, and still no one I knew has come. I’ve had the honor to sit in on a few other funerals. Those were filled with tears from the loved ones of the deceased. Yet my own funeral was empty. No one was coming for me. I decide to finally cross the passage to my final destination, never to see my mother, father, or family again. My life has ended, but no one cares. I needed help, but no one was there. I beat myself to death every day, but no one noticed. And in the end, everyone, even my family and friends, were not there for me.
This was my reason for my suicide. But as I was walking towards the light, a picture flashed before my eyes. The vision of a girl crying. If anything, this girl was the only one I really hoped would care. This girl was the girl I loved most in this world. As if she was calling to me, I floated towards her house. As I arrived at her bedroom, I look to the bed to see her. Her cheeks were as red as a Pikachu’s cheek. Her eyes streamed an endless waterfall of tears. Her body, curled up into a fetal position, leaning against the wall. Her blankets cover her entire body, excluding the head. She stared blankly into her cell phone. Could she have just broken up with her boyfriend? Could she have had a fight with her best friend? What could have happened to make her feel this way? Rage entered my heart as I was filled with the thirst of revenge against whoever was responsible for this. But as I take a closer look to the cell phone, I see my name. It was a text, my final text. The text filled with my feelings, my pain, my life. The text I sent right before I had jumped. A faint sound pierced my ears at that moment. A sound that the girl had been whispering all this time, but I was too deaf to hear it. “I cared,” it said. Those words filled my eyes with tears. I couldn’t go back any more. I was the cause of her pain. I couldn’t do anything to protect her. In the end, I should have lived, just for her. But it is over for me now. I approached her and whispered into her ear, “Thank you.” Then I planted a kiss onto her forehead and disappeared into the light forever.

I wrote this piece for my final portfolio of my senior year high school class. I hope it makes people realize that out there, someone does care for you. You may not realize it, but you are important to someone.