I Met a Boy in the Woods | Teen Ink

I Met a Boy in the Woods

April 4, 2013
By TalyaGelfand DIAMOND, Bronx, New York
TalyaGelfand DIAMOND, Bronx, New York
58 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Something that comes easy, won't last. Something that lasts, won't come easy.


I met a boy in the woods. I told him I needed help lighting my fire, because my sticks were too weak to create a big and bright enough fire. So we traveled all throughout the forest looking for sticks or logs. We looked in trees and bushes but nothing could satisfy. For we wanted to create a fire unlike any other. One that could keep us warm throughout the night and burned so bright it could blind. A fire that couldn't burn too deep if you got to close. A fire that would never die out. When we thought we had lost all hope, we had finally found a thick yet tender log that would make a fire burn so bright. So we created that fire.
I fell asleep for about five hours. When I had awoken, I noticed the fire had disappeared and the boy was sitting by a lake. He looked so beautiful; shinning from the moonlight. Though as I got closer, I was bewildered and overwhelmed. For the boy was burnt from head to toe. He had no expression on his face. He was skipping rocks on the surface of the lake. He seemed content.
As calmly as I could, I asked "How did this happen? The fire burnt so bright. How did you get burned so deeply?"
He then looked at me from the lake with tear driven eyes, a lost expression and said, "Sometimes the brightest, most beautiful fires burn the deepest. And the brightest, most beautiful fires must die out. For no one would acknowledge their beauty."