Lost Star | Teen Ink

Lost Star

By KatieOdell SILVER, Council Bluffs, Iowa
KatieOdell SILVER, Council Bluffs, Iowa

"Never forget yesterday but always live for today... cause you never know what tomorrow can bring. Or what it can take away..."

I've held you at an arms distance, thriving by your silhouette, everything I saw in you reflected what I once was. Now I can hear the whispers, your cool touch is but a whisper felt on the back of my neck. Now your trying to trick me, so close, yet too far away to be tangible. Is this who you are? You are the person meant to shake me, rattle my inner existence? It perplexes me the way you use the beauty I see as you, as an excuse to run and hide from others. You call yourself ugly, and you freeze yourself up in a clad ball. I hear your screams, I feel the pain that dwells in your heart, yet I cannot reach you. You, you are the person who most closely resembles a star. You amaze people with your beauty, but now the only reason you can be seen is because you have lost your life. That sparkle I once saw in your eye is gone, so are you.

This piece was written about a friend that I knew long ago that had a battle with suicide. She resembled me in a way, we shared the same approaches at life and the same hardships.