How to Pick a Good Movie | Teen Ink

How to Pick a Good Movie

By JezzaRae BRONZE, Atglen, Pennsylvania
JezzaRae BRONZE, Atglen, Pennsylvania

"Guided by the Lonely Star,
Byond the utmost harbor-bar,
I'll find the heavens fair and free,
and beaches of the Starlit Sea."
- J.R.R Tolkien

Nowadays you can’t really trust movies. Sure the previews looked good. But the ending is what counts. Yet not a lot of movies seem to satisfy me. But no need to fear – I’m here to tell you how to pick a good movie. Now I’m only speaking for people who have the best taste in movies. For example if you thought Due Date was funny or if you thought Rango was the best movie ever then you definitely should not be reading this. No offense.

Step One: Decide what movie you want to see. There is pretty much only four categories to choose from:
Recent Releases – I know I’m not the only one out there who thinks movies nowadays are the worst. I mean I do watch them hoping that I will like them. But then they just ruin my day because how horrible they are. So far the only good 2010-2011 movies that I’ve seen are: Unstoppable, Super 8, X-Men: First Class, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I was surprised with Unstoppable since the plot seemed boring but I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and I can honestly say it didn’t suck. Now Super 8 did not surprise me because 1. It was directed by Steven Spielberg (E.T.) and J.J. Abrams (Lost) and because 2. It didn’t have any bad actors/actresses in it. So I knew that movie was worth the ten dollars I paid to see it. X-Men and Harry Potter are movies that could never fail. It’s a proven fact that those two movies have the most fans in the world. So if you have already seen these movies or don’t want to see these movies then I suggest you go back to some older movies.
Classics – Now I know my favorite kind of movie is the classic kind. I have tons to suggest to you if you want to watch a classic. Also most of these are kid friendly but you’ll still love them. You can never go wrong with The Goonies, Ferris Beuller’s Day Off, or Weekend at Bernie’s. All of those are funny and you won’t regret watching. I would also recommend Back to the Future but only the first one. The other two are the same thing as the first but not as good. The Princess Bride is more of a chick flick but I would recommend to anyone too because it is so funny. A good family movie would be Stand By Me. I am in love with all of these movies and I don’t know anybody who isn’t.
Chick Flicks/ Classics – I know chick flicks are getting pretty annoying nowadays too. But some of the old classic ones are sweet and will keep you hooked. You can never go wrong with Titanic. It is a long movie but it’s a true story and it has Leonardo DiCaprio in it! Then there is The Notebook. This is based on a book by Nicholas Sparks (a great read) and has one of the best love stories of all time. When Harry Met Sally is a good classic chick flick too. One of my favorites would have to be Sleepless in Seattle because its gooey sweet and you just have to love it.
Horror/Thrillers – It’s so hard to find a good scary movie nowadays. I’ve seen many and let me tell you I’m not that happy with today’s entertainment. Some of the worst movies I’ve seen were horror movies. The Human Centipede happens to be the worst (and most disturbing) movie I have ever seen. Some of them are very predictable too. Orphan was so predictable that I got bored with it in the first ten minutes. I didn’t even get The Haunting of Molly Hartley in the end. If you really want a good scary movie then you have to see Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), Psycho (1960), or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974). I guess watching some Saw movies would be okay if there was nothing else to watch. But DON’T even think about watching those Final Destination movies.

My advice on how to pick a good movie. Please don't take too much offense to this.