Nadia's Legend | Teen Ink

Nadia's Legend

By Skaia PLATINUM, Locust Grove, Georgia
Skaia PLATINUM, Locust Grove, Georgia

"Yet if hope has flown away, In a night or in a day, In a vision or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream. . ." ~Edgar Allan Poe.

The Goddess Nadia began life as a small white cichlid, living in what is now known as Lake Malawi, Africa. The little fish had always watched the humans from her watery home, wishing she knew more about the strange creatures that were smart enough to catch her own kind.

One spring night, Goddess of the Moon, Diana, heard the little fish’s pleas. Diana considered helping the fish. It wasn’t as if another god or goddess had control over the freshwater lakes and rivers she looked over at night; Poseidon had never had the time for the freshwater creatures. Diana decided to help the fish.

The next night, the goddess descended from her home in the sky to the lake. All the fish scattered and darted across the lake in excitement for not only was Diana the goddess of the Moon, but of the animals and the hunt as well.

“Hello my beauties.” Diana called to the creatures that had gathered around the lake. “I would like to speak with the pretty white fish that lives here. Do you know of her?” She asked her charges.

The fish pulled back to reveal the little cichlid, glowing like the Moon with her white scales. “Yes, Goddess?” The fish answered, shivering with glee that Diana had heard her prayers and answered.

The goddess sat on her knees, her white gown crinkling, and looked the little fish over. “I heard you would like to know more about the humans.” Diana said with a wink at the fish.

The fish leapt from the water in glee, flipping in the air before splashing back down. “Oh yes, Goddess! Please?” The fish enthused.

The goddess nodded. “To get your wish, little one, you must lose your scales, fins, and gills and exchange them for wings, arms, or legs. You cannot go back to being as you are. Will you do this?” Diana told the fish.

“I will no longer be a fish?” The little creature asked. She didn’t seem troubled by this fact.

“No, my dear.” The goddess shook her head. “You will become a creature of the night, like me. Though, I cannot tell you what manner of a night creature you will become. That is the chance of changing form, little one.” The goddess informed the waiting fish.

The fish nodded her head, scales glittering in the moonlight. “Yes, Goddess. I will do this.” The little fish said gravely. “I tire of being stuck in this lake, while the humans may walk wherever they please.” The fish looked around the lake that was her home; at the fish that she had known her whole life. “Goodbye my friends!”

The fish said their goodbyes to her, then Diana said, “Are you ready, my dear?”

The little fish nodded happily.

The goddess stood, looking to the Moon for a moment. Then she took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and exhaled. Her breath turned to bright blue mist before the watching animals as it enveloped the little white fish. But no longer was she a fish.

No, the fish had disappeared in the mist, leaving in her place a beautiful water nymph. The nymph laughed in pleasure and joy, she wasn’t human, but she could see and learn about them in her new form.

“Look here.” called Diana. “Now, my dear, you need a name. A name suitable for your new form.” The goddess frowned in thought.

As Diana thought of a name for her, the nymph gloried in her new form. She was a three foot tall water nymph with blue-black hair, skin that held the radiance of the moon as well as her scales had, and dark blue eyes, the exact same shade of her old lake home. Her blue and white wings were as beautiful as those of a butterfly and just as fragile. She wore a dress that looked as if it were woven with starlight.

The nymph was happy. All she needed was a name.

Diana’s head shot up, her reverie over. “I shall call you Nadia, the freshwater nymph. You may rule over the lakes and rivers of the world, as Poseidon rules the seas.” Diana told the newly named Nadia with satisfaction. Her eyes glittered with joy at her creation. “Also, if you would like, you may be accepted into the God’s realm as my daughter.” Diana smiled brightly.

‘Oh, yes.” Nadia said with feeling. Her voice was a trill. “I would like that very much.” She smiled at her adopted mother.

“You are a very lucky fish, little one.” Diana told her.

“I am a nymph, Goddess. And yes, I am truly lucky.” Nadia said.

No, there is no Freshwater Goddess by the name of Nadia in Greek mythology. This is purely a work of fiction, given as an assignment in my ninth grade English I class two years ago. I've added to and changed the story since then.

on Apr. 6 2017 at 1:13 am
My name is Nadia and I thought this was so cool! Thank you for sharing your talent!