The Day the World Ended | Teen Ink

The Day the World Ended

November 11, 2007
By Anonymous

My name is Stan, but that’s not important. What’s important is that there are only two people left on earth and I am one of them. The other, is an old man. He is said to be the wisest person on earth and that's how he survived the star storm. In case you don't know what a star storm is; it is a storm which makes stars fall from the sky. How he survived is a mystery to me. I, however, survived the storm by luck. The day before the storm, I was hit by a car and was taken to the hospital where I was pronounced dead. The doctor was too damn lazy to contact anybody so he just threw me down a well. Luckily, that well protected me from the storm. Don't ask me how because I don't know. Don't ask me what made the storm happen because I don't know. I woke up a day after the storm only to find out that everybody on earth was dead. I came out of the well and saw all the buildings and towers that we humans have made so proudly now destroyed. Now that I had no reason to live, I kept on asking myself what the purpose of life was. I kept on asking myself that and made it my top priority to find that answer.
How I came to find out that there was one more human on earth was that I sent a radio transmission everywhere and I got one reply. That voice said to give up and enjoy what life I had left. I asked him who he was and he replied "a friend." I knew I recognized that voice somewhere, but I just couldn’t remember. I asked him all kinds of questions, but he always had the same reply, "just give up". So I gave up talking to him and went on with my miserable life. I tried to forget about that guy, but I couldn’t. One day while I was looking for any food left on this damned planet, I remembered whose voice it was. Before the storm I remembered watching a documentary about the wisest man on earth. His name was Bokonon. They asked him questions and he replied. His replies were creative and wise. He had an opinion on everything. Even the smallest thing you can imagine. He was, without any doubt, the wisest man on the earth.
I decided to track him down and ask him what the purpose of life was. I found out that when he replied to my transmission it came from a town not far from where I was. So I set out to find him. I had to walk, for all transportation was destroyed by the storm. As I walked through each town, I noticed there were no bodies anywhere. It was like a ghost town. There was not a sound from anywhere. All I could hear was the sound of my rhythmic footsteps. Finally, after God knows how long, I reached the town from which I had received the reply from. As I walked past all of the buildings, I noticed that it was not any different from the other towns. As I was walking down the road, I saw him. I would have missed him if it wasn’t for the sound of his wheezy breathing. He was sitting at the top of a building. He was barefooted. His feet were very black and dirty. He took no note of my arrival.
"Bokonon? "
"Yes?"
"What was the purpose of life?"
"There was no purpose of life."
And with that he stood up and jumped off the building.