Under the Stars | Teen Ink

Under the Stars

“Do you have a curfew?” Alexandra asked. She looked at her friend walking beside her on the trail.

“Nine o’clock, but I should probably be home a little earlier because I have a lot of homework.” Miranda replied. She was a little shorter than Alex, but only by an inch or two. Miranda’s hair was light brown, whereas Alex’s was dark brown. Both had light blue eyes, Miranda’s like raindrops; Alex’s like a sad crystal. Both had medium toned skin; Miranda’s with a few freckles trailing up her arms. Alex dressed in black pants, a light blue polo t-shirt, a fuzzy black jacket, and a pair of low-cut converses. Miranda was dressed in jeans, a long sleeved white t-shirt, and a pair of Nike tennis shoes.

“That’s fine. It’s only seven-thirty. We have plenty of time to hang out.” Alex remarked.

“Yep.” They walked through the trail together a few minutes just talking about miscellaneous subjects. After about twenty minutes of talking and walking; the sun had almost gone down.

“It’s nice out here.” Alex stated.

“I’m a little cold. I forgot my jacket.” Miranda rubbed her arms. Alex took off her jacket. “No, don’t do that. I’ll be fine.”

“Don’t worry about it. I don’t want you to be cold. I’ll be fine.” Alex draped her jacket around Miranda’s shoulders. Miranda adjusted the jacket onto her arms.

“Thank you.” She said. Alex smiled. “So, you said you wanted to talk to me. What about?” She inquired.

“Well, a few things really.” She started. “There have been some things on my mind for quite some time now. I just haven’t been able to talk about them.”

“What’s on your mind?” Miranda asked.

“There’s this girl. She’s so amazing. I see her everyday and she always makes my heart skip a beat. I’m so scared to tell her I like her. I’m afraid she’ll freak out and run away from me. I don’t want to lose her, but I also don’t want to think about the ‘what if’s’ that may follow if I keep them a secret. What do you think I should do?”

“Um. I don’t know, really. Do you think she is worth the risk?”

“Yes. She’s always been worth it.” Alex whispered gently.

“Well, do you think you’ll lose her as a friend? I mean, if she was a real friend, then she would still be friends with you.” Miranda tried to help.

“I know. We’re great friends. It’s just, I don’t know if I could handle the rejection from her. She’s religious, but I’m not. I don’t know if she’s gay or not either. So, that brings an even bigger problem. I don’t know if she’s homophobic or not.”

“Well, obviously she must not be if she’s friends with you,” Miranda faced the curved trail and continued. “Why do you like her?”

“Well,” Alex started. She took a deep breath and continued to answer. “She’s beautiful. Inside and out. Everything about her sends my heart into a flutter. It’s inevitable. I’ve tried hiding it for so long, but I don’t know how much longer I can keep it inside. I can’t keep it from her or the world any longer. Every time I hear her speak, it’s like being in heaven. She is perfect to me. I can’t explain just how much I--” She stopped.

“How much you what?” Miranda inquired. “Do you love her?”

“I love her, I do. I’m not sure if I’m in love with her though. But with her, I would like to be. She means everything to me. I want to keep her in my life for a very long time. That’s why I’m so scared to tell her how I feel. What if she doesn’t feel the same.”

“Wow. That is so sweet. I almost wish that I was the girl you were talking about. But if you really think it is worth the risk then just go for it.” She advised.

“You’re right. I should. I’m going to tell her.” Alex decided.

“Good. Do you mind if I ask who she is?” Miranda asked.

“It’s just someone.” Alex answered.

“Alright. I understand. You don’t want to tell me. That’s fine. Just let me know how things work out for you.” She stopped at a tree and took a seat on the bench underneath it.

About twenty minutes later, the two girls began walking again. They proceeded through the rest of the trail and exited out of it an towards the playground. It was now dark outside and the stars were shining vibrantly.

“Miranda?” Alex asked. She climbed onto the playground equipment and sat down. Miranda sat down beside her.

“Yeah?” She looked at Alex.

“I think you’re beautiful.” Alex started. “Every moment I spend with you is like an eternity of bliss, and when you leave I feel like my heart is crying for you to come back. Every time I look into your eyes I feel like can see your soul. I think you’re such an amazing person. I wish that for the rest of my life I could keep you here by my side. I’ve been so afraid for so long. I’ve wanted to tell you that you’ve been the one that I dream about every night. You’re the one I think about when I hear love songs. You’re the one I think about that makes me smile. I have spent countless nights wondering if I should tell you or if I should keep everything all bottled up. I’ve spent so many nights crying because I was too afraid to tell you that you are the one for me. The only one I could ever want or need. The perfect one for me. You’re perfect in my eyes. I love you, Miranda.” Alex confessed. Miranda sat there for a moment, speechless. “Please don’t be upset. Please. I can’t lose you.

A few seconds pass and Miranda spoke up.

“You aren’t going to lose me.” Miranda started. “I promise.” She put her hand on Alex’s. “I never expected you to say that to me. It’s a little shocking, really. I mean, I’m not gay. I’ve never been with another girl. I don’t know how any of this works.” Alex’s eyes began to water-up in sadness. “Please don’t cry. I’m not finished.”

“I’m sorry. Please finish.” A tear slid down her cheek. Miranda reached her hand onto Alex’s cheek and wiped her solitary tear away.

“I don’t know how being gay works. I’m a Christian, so I’ve honestly never paid any attention to the same sex. But--” Miranda stopped.

“”But?” A few more tears let loose and escaped their sorrow cells. Miranda gently wiped those away as well.

“There is no need for tears. I am not gay. I do not believe in labels. Now, it is my turn to confess something.” Miranda smiled.

“What is that?” Alex’s tears stopped and were quickly replaced with a hopeful gleam.

“For all this time, it is you I have loved, too. I held my tongue when you dated other girls and tried to keep my feelings a secret. But all of this time, I have been in love with you. You, Alex. You’ve been the only person I have wanted since I met you. Then to hear you say it is me you love and want to spend the rest of your life with…I was so shocked. I never thought you would ever love me as I do you.”

“I could never love anymore more than I love you.” The two were entranced in an overdue loving gaze. Slowly, they leaned in closer and closer until their lips gently touched.

“I always imagined what it would be like to kiss you…” Miranda started.

“I never thought it would be this nice…”

“I was thinking the same thing…”The two sat their in a loving embrace, exchanging whispers and kisses until Alex’s watch went off.

“It’s eight forty-five. You need to be getting home.” Alex said. Miranda nodded. They kissed once more before saying their good-byes for the night.

“Okay. I love you. Drive safely. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Miranda kissed Alex on the forehead and then turned to walk to her car.

“I love you, too. You do the same. Oh, one more thing…”

“What?” She stopped and asked.

“That girl--” Miranda grinned. “I did it. Everything went great. Thanks for the advice.”

“You’re welcome. Goodnight.” She grinned and got into her car and drove home.