Do you remember? | Teen Ink

Do you remember?

By Hannaleiigh PLATINUM, Kittery Point, Maine
Hannaleiigh PLATINUM, Kittery Point, Maine

The most beautiful world I know of is the one I shared with you. We were the only ones. Time passed and the thick barrier between us blocked out our whispers, blocked out the noise from our shouts, and blocked out any hope of us grasping fingers, if only for a few seconds. Let that barrier crumble now. Do you remember calling me perfect? That was the first time I’ve truly let anyone see me, and that was the first time I’ve ever been called perfect. Do you remember saying the time apart would bring us closer? Though this hasn’t happened, it has made me remember more vividly and want you more. God, it makes me want you so bad. Do you remember saying you would never disappear? Days go by where you are gone, and I retrace places you’ve touched, places you said you never wanted to leave. I have to go out finding you, everyday, but I forgive you love. Do you remember saying you wanted all of me? I have given you every piece. Good and bad. Please accept them even as things change. I am flawed but I am also yours. Do you remember saying you could lay next to me and not speak a word? We’ve been stumbling over our words, and every gap between us grows by ten when we can’t find a way to place our feelings. Do you remember saying you’d be mine forever? Lately it feels you’ve been yanking back my favorite parts of you. As if you fear I’ll break what I have been given. But I am holding them so tightly, so preciously against my chest. Do you remember saying time wasn’t a factor? Every new dawn we must face, you shudder and you shake.
We’ve told each other so many wonderful things. Some have been proven true for always, while others have been proven to be fragile and breakable.
But please, tell me you love me each day.