Bus 72 | Teen Ink

Bus 72 MAG

By Anonymous

It’s a long ride home, and Bus 72 always rolls at the same pace.
An unpleasant odor seeps from the man sitting to my left, who is dressed in tatters and mutters threats under his breath. “Boy, if you don’t shut up …”

The bus continues to roll along, and my eyes wander toward a girl with a bright red dot on her forehead. I can’t help but stare. Her baby cries, and she starts to sing a soft lullaby. Her baby gazes at me and I avert my eyes, noticing the woman’s dirty sandals and pink sari. The baby starts crying again, and she hushes and rocks it to sleep.

Next to me, the yuppie slurps loudly from his coffee, dressed smartly in a suit and tie, and holding a suitcase that he never lets go of. He sits up straight, eyes staring blankly at the window, though his vision never seems to reach outside. The only time he turns his eyes away is to check his watch.

And then there’s me, sitting there like all the rest, with no regard for anyone or feeling any kind of acknowledgement from them. The bus continues to roll at the same speed, not quite fast or slow. There is barely an illusion of motion.

Little motion and no emotion – that is the way Bus 72 is. Sometimes I wish I could just tell these people who I am and how I feel, then I could listen serenely to their stories.

I wonder how each of them got through the day with such serenity. What does the Indian girl go through every day as she works to raise her child? Then I look at the man next to me. He is on this bus like me every day, always staring lifelessly at the wall. What in the world can he be thinking?

The man’s face doesn’t change when the bus arrives at the next stop. He picks up his briefcase, shoves his other hand in his pocket and walks off. Following him is the Indian woman, still singing softly to keep the baby quiet. The old man lies down and soon I hear snoring.

Nothing changes; the vacant seats echo the demeanor of the passengers. I feel no more alone than before.

I was alone and I still am.