Bus 72 | Teen Ink

Bus 72 MAG

It’s a long ride home, and Bus 72 always rolls at the same pace.
An unpleasant odor seeps from the man sitting to my left, who is dressed in tatters and mutters threats under his breath. “Boy, if you don’t shut up …”

The bus continues to roll along, and my eyes wander toward a girl with a bright red dot on her forehead. I can’t help but stare. Her baby cries, and she starts to sing a soft lullaby. Her baby gazes at me and I avert my eyes, noticing the woman’s dirty sandals and pink sari. The baby starts crying again, and she hushes and rocks it to sleep.

Next to me, the yuppie slurps loudly from his coffee, dressed smartly in a suit and tie, and holding a suitcase that he never lets go of. He sits up straight, eyes staring blankly at the window, though his vision never seems to reach outside. The only time he turns his eyes away is to check his watch.

And then there’s me, sitting there like all the rest, with no regard for anyone or feeling any kind of acknowledgement from them. The bus continues to roll at the same speed, not quite fast or slow. There is barely an illusion of motion.

Little motion and no emotion – that is the way Bus 72 is. Sometimes I wish I could just tell these people who I am and how I feel, then I could listen serenely to their stories.

I wonder how each of them got through the day with such serenity. What does the Indian girl go through every day as she works to raise her child? Then I look at the man next to me. He is on this bus like me every day, always staring lifelessly at the wall. What in the world can he be thinking?

The man’s face doesn’t change when the bus arrives at the next stop. He picks up his briefcase, shoves his other hand in his pocket and walks off. Following him is the Indian woman, still singing softly to keep the baby quiet. The old man lies down and soon I hear snoring.

Nothing changes; the vacant seats echo the demeanor of the passengers. I feel no more alone than before.

I was alone and I still am.

FinnMacCool said...
on Jul. 27 2010 at 10:52 am
FinnMacCool,

Hey this is the writer. Thank you everyone for all the nice comments. I'm very stoked that people like this piece. If you'd like to read more of my work, I'll send you the links. I'm always looking for feedback.

Thanks again,

Kevin L

FinnMacCool said...
on Jul. 27 2010 at 10:51 am
FinnMacCool,
Hi this is the writer responsible for this piece. I'm very stoked that so many people seemed to have liked this particular piece. If anyone is interested in some of my other works, I'll glady email you the links or just email it directly to you. I'm always interested in feedback and learning how to improve my writing. Thanks for all the kind comments everyone.

on Jun. 28 2010 at 4:36 pm
Lover_that_Hates DIAMOND, Reynolds, Georgia

"She was fascinated with words. To her words were things of beauty, each like a magical powder or potion that could be combinded with other words to create powerful spells." From: Lighting(By: Dean Koontz)

I really liked this piece! it was...i don't know how to explain it! it just sorta touched me i guess (lol)anyway great job1 i like the way ur mind works!

on Jun. 28 2010 at 2:06 am
AriaLabyrinth BRONZE, Fresno, California

"To Each Her Own"

Oh, gosh! This is brilliant.

on May. 12 2010 at 11:02 am
BleedingRose PLATINUM, Frederic, Wisconsin

*The darkness holds infinite possibilities.

(mine)

I loved this, very good and very well written!  But I want to see more, you should continue it!

-Rose

on Apr. 19 2010 at 1:55 pm
DeadlyPoppy PLATINUM, Chehalis, Washington

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?" -Patrick, Spongebob Squarepants

Wow. This article was amazingly well written and thoughtful. If everyone thought like this, I think the world would be a better place. More people should take the time to notice the people around them.

on Apr. 19 2010 at 1:55 pm
GracieLynn BRONZE, Chehalis, Washington

"Life isn't about the breaths we take, it's about the moments that take our breath away." -Unknown

Well... Do you sing in a different language?

maki:p GOLD said...
on Mar. 20 2010 at 1:21 pm
maki:p GOLD, Rocklin, California

"The only journey is the one within" and "You can't help anyone who doesn't want to be helped."

The second to last line was the best. It really rabbed my attention and fully understand the sense of what was happening on the bus. Good job

EMOEMY GOLD said...
on Jan. 13 2010 at 9:34 pm
EMOEMY GOLD, Flower Mound, Texas

"If the world didn't suck we would all fall off", "My life's goal is to make those closest smile and laugh", "If you don't like it change it"

Minus the brother part I feel the same way as Theo.

Theo said...
on Apr. 24 2009 at 12:14 am
My brother is writer and he wrote a very similar short story, and when I first started reading this I though he'd finally posted his work somewhere. This is really good. I might A: go a little longer and B: describe the dull surroundings there passing through. Keep up the good work.

Alik_=) SILVER said...
on Apr. 24 2009 at 12:01 am
Alik_=) SILVER, Rochester, Illinois
I really liked this! good job :) keep writing.

Gossamer said...
on Apr. 18 2009 at 12:18 am
Gossamer, North Hill, Other

Love. I don't care what happened or who did it to you. Love anyway.

I think this is why some people get into abusive relationships. We ignore each other to the point that we become desperate for any type of connection, so the minute someone who wants to be with us comes along, we do whatever it takes to hold them near us. No matter who they are. No matter what they do.

on Apr. 17 2009 at 5:23 pm
WOW that was really well-written i loved how u said Nothing changes; the vacant seats echo the demeanor of the passengers. I feel no more alone than before.

that is like so powerful i couldn't help but feel the connection

Havanna said...
on Apr. 17 2009 at 1:49 pm
Havanna, Perthshire, Other
wow!!you made a bus ride really exciting! Riviting! Loved it! SPEACHLESS!!!!!!!!! keep it up!

12345 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 11 2009 at 9:36 pm
12345 BRONZE, Strafford, New Hampshire
Really well written. It's like the beginning of an awesome book....

i<3you said...
on Apr. 11 2009 at 6:43 pm
it was okay. But I think if you developed your main character more, then your ending would have more of an impact on the readers emotions! But other wise, congrats on being published!

Brett95 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 11 2009 at 3:34 pm
Brett95 BRONZE, Farmington, New Mexico
wow such symbolism so good!!!!

Vance SILVER said...
on Apr. 5 2009 at 7:01 pm
Vance SILVER, Coral Springs, Florida
Geeeeeeeez. Really well-written, and the ending was super powerful. (=

Aww, an Indian woman. Haha, of course I have to point that out, being Indian myself.

Was she singing in a different language? These things interest me. ;p